1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to remove the stock browser?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by papy72, Apr 29, 2010.

1. papy72

papy72 New Member

I'm running a rooted stock 2.1 droid and am wondering how I go about removing the stock browser.

I use xscope and am tired of getting the 'choose a browser' box everytime it updates. I figured if there was only one browser on the phone it would open it by default (and plz correct me if I am wrong on that).
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

You can use root exlporer from the market, go into /system/apps, mount r/w and then delete it. It should open xscope by default after that.

Can't remember the term code, but root explorer is a great app worth paying for. You will use it a lot.
  3. papy72

papy72 New Member

Well I have AndExplorer and can find the browser.apk (and something called browser.odex - no clue what that is) in the \system\app directory.

One other question: if I want to keep it around "just in case" can I just slap a .bak on the end of the name to make the apk unrecognizable? Would i have to rename the odex file too?
  4. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I think that should work just fine. I dono what the ODEX file is myself? You can always use ADB to pull the browser.apk file to keep a backup too... if you use ADB.
  5. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

Yes, you can (and should) just slap .bak onto the end of the filename so you can retrieve it quicker.

As for the .odex, that's also a part of the browser... you should technically rename them both. ODEX files are class files that are pre-optimized to save some overhead... the stock browser .apk requires the .odex in order to function, so if you ever want the browser back, remember to rename the .odex file back to.

There is a completely de-odexed file system floating around, but that's another story...
  6. papy72

papy72 New Member

Thanks everyone!
  7. papy72

papy72 New Member

ok, did the renames and Folder Organizer immediately crapped out. I suspect it has something to do with it's use of the global bookmarks.

So after renaming them back all is well (thankfully I didn't delete them). I guess I'm going to have to live with needing to choose xscope after every update.
Search tags for this page

android uninstall default browser

delete default browser android
how to delete android browser
how to disable android browser
how to remove default web browser android
how to uninstall android browser
how to uninstall default browser on android
remove default web browser android
remove stock android browser

remove stock browser android

uninstall android browser