how to remove the Samsung. bloatware from s3?

sakhamuri

Reaction score
How to remove Samsung bloatware from s3
Any other tips to simplify the interface?
I am new to android platform and was iPhone user before

OP
S

sakhamuri

Reaction score
Any tips to arrange the icons based on category?

Valvoline

Reaction score
In response to OP, Get your phone rooted, boot loader unlocked then find a custom rom you like and never turn back. Sure, not to many roms out just yet, but be patient.

OP
S

sakhamuri

Reaction score
Valvoline said:
In response to OP, Get your phone rooted, boot loader unlocked then find a custom rom you like and never turn back. Sure, not to many roms out just yet, but be patient.

Thank you for the response. Can you suggest some websites to monitor for news on custom roms?

OP
S

sakhamuri

Reaction score
War_Machine said:
You can create folders just like on the iphone. Former iphone user myself, welcome to the dark side :cool-b:

Cool got it!

Yep liking the tons if customization possibilities!

JFrawls

Reaction score
If you go ahead and root, there is a root delete app that will allow you to remove any of the system apps. Just be careful and don't delete something vital to the system. I use it to delete all the verizon crap pre-installed. This way if you don't want to flash a rom you can still run stock and rid yourself of those bloat apps

This site is a great place with a wealth of information, there is also s3forums.com, rootzwiki, XDA-Developers

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If you're going to root to get rid of bloatware, do not delete it unless you're planning on installing a custom rom. If you don't plan on installing a custom rom, and you delete any of the stock apps or bloatware that will not uninstall through the normal process, there's an extremely high chance that any future OTA updates you might want will fail to install.

The best thing to do is just to freeze the bloatware. A majority of the bloatware can be frozen natively without the need for root access. All you have to do is open the app drawer, go to the bloatware app you want to prevent from running, long press it, and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen where it says "App Info." Drop it there, and it will take you the app info screen for that app. At the top right, you'll have a box that will say one of three things - Uninstall, Uninstall Updates, or Disable. If it says uninstall, you can safely uninstall the app completely and not worry about it causing any future problems. If it says uninstall updates, select that, let it run through the process, and then come back to the app info screen. Now the button should say disable. Select disable, and the app will be completely frozen. It remains on the phone (because it has to in order for future OTA updates to work), but it will not run, and it will be removed from your app drawer. This is exactly the same as freezing the app with Titanium Backup and root, and it's much simpler. Rooting and using TB will allow you to freeze more apps and processes, but you have to be absolutely sure they're ok to freeze.

Since you're new to Android, I would read up extensively on rooting and custom roms before attempting any of it. It's an easy process, but if you're not 100% sure that you know exactly what you're doing, you can cause some headaches for yourself. Also, take a look at the Galaxy S3 Tips and Tricks sticky. It's a continually updated thread that has useful information about the S3.

OP
S

sakhamuri

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
If you're going to root to get rid of bloatware, do not delete it unless you're planning on installing a custom rom. If you don't plan on installing a custom rom, and you delete any of the stock apps or bloatware that will not uninstall through the normal process, there's an extremely high chance that any future OTA updates you might want will fail to install.

The best thing to do is just to freeze the bloatware. A majority of the bloatware can be frozen natively without the need for root access. All you have to do is open the app drawer, go to the bloatware app you want to prevent from running, long press it, and then drag it down to the bottom of the screen where it says "App Info." Drop it there, and it will take you the app info screen for that app. At the top right, you'll have a box that will say one of three things - Uninstall, Uninstall Updates, or Disable. If it says uninstall, you can safely uninstall the app completely and not worry about it causing any future problems. If it says uninstall updates, select that, let it run through the process, and then come back to the app info screen. Now the button should say disable. Select disable, and the app will be completely frozen. It remains on the phone (because it has to in order for future OTA updates to work), but it will not run, and it will be removed from your app drawer. This is exactly the same as freezing the app with Titanium Backup and root, and it's much simpler. Rooting and using TB will allow you to freeze more apps and processes, but you have to be absolutely sure they're ok to freeze.

Since you're new to Android, I would read up extensively on rooting and custom roms before attempting any of it. It's an easy process, but if you're not 100% sure that you know exactly what you're doing, you can cause some headaches for yourself. Also, take a look at the Galaxy S3 Tips and Tricks sticky. It's a continually updated thread that has useful information about the S3.

Great info thanks for explaining things clearly

droidtom

Reaction score
The simplest way to solve this, and this is the best phone I have ever had too.

I was so pleasantly surprised by this. I did disable a few apps, but then I also saw that if you hit the menu button you can select hide applications. It comes up where you check all the ones you want to hide and boom out of site out of mind. So easy and now my app drawer is clutter free. I've always loaded roms and screwed with my phone, but this one I'm enjoying as is. I was going to buy one from an individual to keep my unlimited data. I looked and i've never gone over 1.5 GB ever. Realized that and just took the new plan. love it. Don't have to cheat to get hotspot, unlimited talk, etc. I'm saving $10 a month and if i need 4GB I can get it for the same price I was paying. Heck with it. I love the new phone. I came from a Galaxy nexus and it was a nice phone. Had it unlocked and running aosp jb. Super nice. Problem was the accessories always sucked for the Nexus. I missed my car dock from my dx and the car dock sucked for the nexus. The one for the s3 is super nice and I am thrilled so far.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5

Since the app is removed from the app drawer, is there a way to "unfreeze" it if you later discover that you need it for some reason?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Since the app is removed from the app drawer, is there a way to "unfreeze" it if you later discover that you need it for some reason?

Yep. Go to Settings -> Application manager -> All, and then scroll down to the bottom. All of the apps you've disabled are listed there. Just tap on the one you want to use, and there will be a button at the top right that says "Enable."

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
perfect, thanks!