[HOW TO] Remove bloatware

prince1071

Reaction score
Sooooo, has no one figured out how to get rid of this damn Need For Speed app???? I'm seeing all these lists and it aint on any of them....

wdprice3

Reaction score
IMPORTANT UPDATES TO MY PREVIOUSLY POSTED LIST!!

From messing around last night:

1.) Conversations.apk and BlurEmailEngine appear to be related to text messaging; not sure if it messes up 3rd party text apps though... kills stock text messaging

2.) There is a non-obviously named .apk related to gmail and will break it's ability to send/receive... trying to find it... ... can't find it :(

Please report your findings as well (feel free to test please!).

Attachments

• stock_apps.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 315

mhackett71

Reaction score
Renaming files undo if you want the OTA Update

I had to rename the bloatware back to apk's so the ota would work,,, just a FYI....dancedroid

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Sooooo, has no one figured out how to get rid of this damn Need For Speed app???? I'm seeing all these lists and it aint on any of them....
Need for speed can be removed from Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. No need for root or anything special.

GHII

Reaction score
What apk is the contacts app? I renamed a few apks, and now my contacts app won't open...when I press it, it looks like it launches for a second then just goes back to my home screen. Any ideas? I tried renaming the files back but none worked, is there any way to reinstall it, does someone have the apk?

wdprice3

Reaction score
What apk is the contacts app? I renamed a few apks, and now my contacts app won't open...when I press it, it looks like it launches for a second then just goes back to my home screen. Any ideas? I tried renaming the files back but none worked, is there any way to reinstall it, does someone have the apk?

check the list I posted on the previous page

GHII

Reaction score
I have no idea what happened but my contacts are jacked. I couldn't launch Blurcontacts so I Bak'd it and got another Blurcontacts.apk from the system app zip, installed, when I launch I just get a big grey circle, and I can't access the settings, the first time I did, I saw a huge repeating list of my gmail account, then it closed...now can't get back in there. If I open my dialer, I can see my contacts there, but there are some people in there who shouldn't be and I cant edit them which is why I am trying to get my contacts app to work.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Removing Crapware.
So I go through the removing Crapware deal whats is going to do for me??
How much space is it going to gain me on my 8GB storage area ?
So some of the Crapware is parked on the warm up bench in my ram won't Android sent unused app's to the shower if Ram needs more space for active in the game app's?
I can understand the want to get rid of City id Or Block Bankruptcy but later on when things change eyeyones running looking for the apk's to replace the one they deleted or .bak.
Is it worth it?????
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

droidNEWB101

Reaction score
dancedroidFirst I want to say thanks to the forum for all the help I've been able to get from reading hours of postings .. I bought my droid x from someone on craigslist who had it rooted... I had NO clue what i was doing and wanted to get the 2.2 update .. well after tons of reading .. i was able to flash with the sbk back to 2.1 stock and then upgrade and i thought ... well i might was well root it myself 1. to learn something new 2. to get rid of all the crap that was on it since I had flashed it .. I dont understand why people want to delete so much .. I mean I understand some of the things are just annoying .. but some people delete (Rather than Rename or Move) then, they freak out because it messed up their phone b/c lack of research to see that something they rid of resulted in a glitch or something stopped working .. really I dont see much need to rid of more than the things that have been verified to not screw up your phone ..

Once again though , thanks to all the posts I've read .. I did have a question about overclocking though ... is it really worth it? Im going to check the rest of the forums to see if I can find some answers :) Thanks!dancedroid

Zael

Reaction score
Updates for 2.2

Hey I have done the OTA for 2.2 and was wondering how 2.1 differs from 2.2 as far as bloatware removal goes. I have removed both the apk and odex file for Mynet and that seems to have removed the Verizon 3G app. Will it cause any reboot problems though? Did I need to rename the odex file or was just the apk sufficient.

Thanks for all the help.

droidNEWB101

Reaction score
I just renamed the apk files and left the odex files be and the things I wanted to go away did.. I just used the root program on my phone to rename...and no the 3g doesn't negatively affect your phone

NR6Q

Reaction score
Working on removing bloatware. The following were suggested but I am not sure what they are. I am assuming that Vvm may have something to do with Verizon Voice Mail.

WorkContacts may have something to do with exchange server app.

Can anyone clarify?

Vvm.apk
WorkContacts.apk

Thanks,

gg

unept96

Reaction score
Thanks StayWide8, I have been searching for hours now to find out how Kindle named their apk. All you had to say was "redding"!

crcpeach

Reaction score
Thanks!

I can't thank you guys enough :) I've been a long-time WinMo user - hacked to my heart's delight - but new to the Android community. I absolutely LOVE my Droid X, and you have helped me to make it MINE.