How to recover system apps

RobDoes

Reaction score
My son had this DI a while back. Mine took a crap and he's had this thing sitting around for a long time. My kid had a problem staying away from boobie sites, so I rooted it and removed the market app, the browser, ROM manager and erased all previous restore points. (He's a pretty smart kid). I never thought I'd need this phone again but I had someone offer me forty bucks for it so....

Is there a way for me to restore this thing at all? It's running LithiumMod 0.0.3 on Android 2.2.1. I got an iPhone a while back so I'm not as well versed in these things as I used to be. (Don't hate...it's a company phone...hehe)

Also, all of the apps that my son had on the phone are still showing in his Google account but they won't sync to this phone anymore which I'm assuming is because of the missing market app....

Thanks for your help!

OP
R

RobDoes

Reaction score
I thought there might be a way to download the market app to my laptop and then to the phone but I remember trying to do that with another app and it was a zip file which I couldn't figure out...:blink:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Do you want the phone to be unrooted and stock or would just having all the apps back be sufficient?

OP
R

RobDoes

Reaction score
Doesn't matter really. It's well out of warranty at this point. My buddy kinda liked the idea of it being rooted. Whatever's gonna be easiest is fine with the both of us.

Thanks for the speedy reply by the way...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well in this case it should be an easy fix. What I would recommend is downloading a ROM, getting it on the device, and then booting into recovery to install it. You can then proceed to set it up or whatever you want for him.

And no problem on the quick reply :)

OP
R

RobDoes

Reaction score
How would I go about downloading another ROM without ROM manager or the market app to get ROM manager? Is there a way to download ROM manager to my PC and then move it to the phone?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I am sure you could find the app to install ROM Manager, but, I would actually recommend downloading the ROM to your PC and moving it to the phone. After that you can boot into recovery (from phone powered off) and install it manually.

OP
R

RobDoes

Reaction score
Your knowledge is impressive! Sounds a little over my head.... I'm sure I can find a LithMod ROM download somewhere, but how to move it from my PC to the phone is another thing. Is there a site that you're aware of that offers the ROM and noob instructions on how to make it operational on the phone?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well actually, unless you took the files off your phone Lithium mod should still be on there. Otherwise it may be difficult to find since it has been out of development for quite some time. And as far as instructions, if we decide to go this route I will do my best to walk you through it.

OP
R

RobDoes

Reaction score
I don't think I deleted any ROM files, but I'm not sure. I've got Astro (file manager) and Titanium Backup. How would I go about using a file in the phone to reactivate an app?

Thanks a lot for your help. At this point it's a lot less about th $40 and a lot more about finishing what I started!

Also...I'm not stck on LithiumMod. I'm fine with any stable ROM that will restore the market app.

While messing around with it I was able to restore the ROM Manager app but it won't let me get into the "Download ROMs" selection.

Another tidbit...my wife has her old one still also with all of the core apps still operating. It's running CyanogenMod 7.0.3 on Android 2.3.3. Is there any way to move files from her phone to mine?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well if you deleted them completely then there is no way to restore them, unless you did a back up with Titanium before you removed them. But first lets see if that ROM is still on your SD card and then we can go for there.

Open up Astro,
Click on "SD Card Usage"
Look for the folder labeled "clockworkmod"
In there should be a ROM or downloads folder so look in there for it.

If you did not use ROM Manager to download it originally then look for the "Downloads" folder instead of the "clockworkmod" one.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
And I just realized what time it is. I have work very early so I am going to have to go to bed but I am more then willing to help you tomorrow once I get home. The unfortunate thing is it will not be until like 6pm since it is a long work day and commute for me.