How to read external SD Card?

zipwin

Reaction score
You can use es file explorer. Make sure in settings the box is checked for "up to root access" (even if you're not rooted). In root directory press the folder "mnt" and sdext will be in it! Hope this helps

Cattledog1969

Reaction score
Not sure if this is off topic, but if you install a Sandisk 64GB SDXC memory card in the GS3 will it show up as "damaged card" when you mount it and does the GS3 format the card HC or XC.

I have a 64 GB SDXC in my bionic but it showed up as "damaged card" once formatted it then read 59.46 GB available memory.

Has anyone installed that size card in their GS3? ?

Last edited:

urklegrue

Reaction score
Not sure if this is off topic, but if you install a Sandisk 64GB SDXC memory card in the GS3 will it show up as "damaged card" when you mount it and does the GS3 format the card HC or XC.

I have a 64 GB SDXC in my bionic but it showed up as "damaged card" once formatted it then read 59.46 GB available memory.

I put a Sandisk 64GB card in mine and it read it right away. I formatted it anyway and haven't had a problem. It does say 59.46 GB memory, but I think that's normal; even with a 32GB card it will say 29.something total memory.

huskur

Reaction score
On the SG3 once you select "my files" from the app drawer you can choose from "sd card" or "extsdcard". From there you can navigate your files

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I've got the same card in my S3. Transferred it from my MAXX. I had to format the card when I first put it in the MAXX, but it's working just fine in the S3. 59.46GB is the correct amount of memory after the card has been formatted.

napjester

Reaction score
I just installed Solid Explorer and it works well for free. It has a double pane so I have the external card on the left and internal on the right for easy drag and drop moves.

ryman01

Reaction score
OK... I give. Is there a secret to getting the S3 to read my sd card files in a file manager? I have tried astro, es file explorer, file manager..... The phone itself is reading it but how can I get a file manager app to read it. I have never had this issue in the past on other phones. :mad:

This is how I found the external sd card on my Galaxy S3. Look for the file mnt folder NOT the sdcard folder. The sdcard folder is the sd card that came with the phone. Click the mnt folder and you'll see the extsdcard folder.

pastor_rob

Reaction score
I may be off ... but I think he the OP was asking how to read the Card on his computer ... NOT his phone ... I am using a MAC and can NOT for the life of me ... access the SD Card and moves files from my laptop to the phone ... I know about reading the card from "my files" app ... but how do I read it from laptop ... I do NOT have a PC ... I have a Mac. I like being able to copy and paste and drag and drop files from the phone to my Mac and vice versa.

Thanks in advance ... I have tried everything ... but to no avail.

Peace,
Rob

datboiwizzie

Reaction score
pastor_rob said:
I may be off ... but I think he the OP was asking how to read the Card on his computer ... NOT his phone ... I am using a MAC and can NOT for the life of me ... access the SD Card and moves files from my laptop to the phone ... I know about reading the card from "my files" app ... but how do I read it from laptop ... I do NOT have a PC ... I have a Mac. I like being able to copy and paste and drag and drop files from the phone to my Mac and vice versa.

Thanks in advance ... I have tried everything ... but to no avail.

Peace,
Rob

Your off...he said how can he get his S3 to read the sd card thru a file manager app