How to read external SD Card?

brute48

Reaction score
OK... I give. Is there a secret to getting the S3 to read my sd card files in a file manager? I have tried astro, es file explorer, file manager..... The phone itself is reading it but how can I get a file manager app to read it. I have never had this issue in the past on other phones. :mad:

OP
brute48

brute48

Reaction score
Ok. That one works.... Kind of a bummer. Astro has a lot more options. Oh well!

datboiwizzie

Reaction score
Yea i used astro and es file explorer myself. But i guess beggers cant be choosers

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Is this the first phone with this internal vs external sd card concept? The File Manager apps may just need to be updated by the devs.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is this the first phone with this internal vs external sd card concept? The File Manager apps may just need to be updated by the devs.

Recent Motorola phones have internal and external SD cards. I don't have my S3 yet, so I can't check it for myself, but with Astro (and other file managers) on the Motorola phones, you have to hit the up button until you see a folder called "sdcard-ext." That's the actual removable SD card. Perhaps there's something similar to that with the S3.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force

Acer Tablets work similarly in this regard too.

datboiwizzie

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Recent Motorola phones have internal and external SD cards. I don't have my S3 yet, so I can't check it for myself, but with Astro (and other file managers) on the Motorola phones, you have to hit the up button until you see a folder called "sdcard-ext." That's the actual removable SD card. Perhaps there's something similar to that with the S3.

I came from a Droid Razr so i know exactly what your talking about. Doesnt work on the S3 tho. It'll take you to the root of the phone but the sdcard-ext folder isnt there

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I came from a Droid Razr so i know exactly what your talking about. Doesnt work on the S3 tho. It'll take you to the root of the phone but the sdcard-ext folder isnt there

That's strange. I wouldn't be surprised if it's named something other than sdcard-ext, but it's odd if there's no way to access it at all.

datboiwizzie

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
That's strange. I wouldn't be surprised if it's named something other than sdcard-ext, but it's odd if there's no way to access it at all.

You can access it..but only thru the My Files app that came installed.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
You can access it..but only thru the My Files app that came installed.

Yeah, I saw that in your first post in the thread. I was referring to accessing it through a third-party file browser like Astro.

voodooman128

Reaction score
Astro and others will read sd card. Remember that it will read ext sd. Also to get There in Astro click on documents Then home Then up. Should look like /mnt. Then click ext sd..hope thats Wat u wanted

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Astro and others will read sd card. Remember that it will read ext sd. Also to get There in Astro click on documents Then home Then up. Should look like /mnt. Then click ext sd..hope thats Wat u wanted

What he said!

/mnt/extSdCard

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

That's what I said on the first page of the thread, even stating that it might be named slightly different than how it is on Motorola phones. But others said they looked, and that there's not a ext folder there at all. I thought it was really strange that it wouldn't be there. I don't have the phone yet to be able to check for myself, but I'm glad to know that it is.

Last edited:

urklegrue

Reaction score
It is definitely there, in Astro, as mnt/extSdCard. At least on mine.