How to purchase T-bolt and get grandfathered in

leland_7

Reaction score
Is there anything special to know here? With the supposed tiered/July 7th date nearing I'd like to go ahead and take advantage of the unlimited 3G/4G option.

It looks as though Amazon.com has the best deal going for a T-bolt. How do I ensure I will get the grandfathered unlimited data if purchasing there or should I purchase from Big Red instead?

Would really appreciate some advice before moving forward.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
You have to make a sacrificial offering (your first born preferably) inside a pentagram while you stand on you stand on your head and hail Big Red as you press the order button. :icon_evil:

Just kidding.

Really no one knows how it is going to work quite yet. Right now there is no difference between 3G and 4G data plans. So in theory as long as you have an unlimited smartphone data plan prior to the 7th you should be able to be grandfathered in (know that Blackberry plans are different so going to or from a BB could change your contract). But there are people that think if you upgrade to a new phone and sign a new contract after the 7th, that it could force you to change to a tiered plan. You could buy phones off contract at full price and possibly keep unlimited, but even then there could be some stipulation forcing you into tiered data. More details should come forward as it gets closer to the 7th, but right now it is basically rumors.

There is also the fact that whatever happens July 7th could be completely different 3 - 6 months down the road. With the iPhone5 releasing a bit later this year, or early next year, some of the rules could be amended by then. And 2 years from now, or thereabouts when you will have an upgrade available, who knows what the rules will be like then.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Amazon's phone/ data service contract is really through Verizon so same details and you would be grandfathered in. It is the same with all third party retailers. Some of them, most of them also have additional agreements that are different than Verizon's, such as you must keep the phone on contract with the same number for at least 6 months or you pay a penalty whereas if you purchase the phone through Verizon, you can put any other phone on that line that you want.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Ahhh, I see.

So, since I ultimately want the Bionic (which will likely release AFTER the tiered plans) I should purchase through Verizon so I'm not bound to stay with it for 6 months right?

This would allow me to sell the TB as soon as I can nab a Bionic (albeit at full price) and switch them out without loosing my unlimited 3G/4G package?

And if the above is true, which 4G phone might bring me the greatest USED resale value since I'll be forced to activate it and use those monies toward my Bionic?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to play my cards right here.

Beka27

Reaction score
Have you done an Ebay search for pre-owned 4G phones? Compare what they are going for... I don't know if the TB or Charge has a higher resale value.

That being said, why don't you just purchase a used phone online and save your upgrade for the Bionic?

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Because the Bionic will likely release after the tiered data. I want to be part of the unlimited gang.

Beka27

Reaction score
Because the Bionic will likely release after the tiered data. I want to be part of the unlimited gang.

Yeah. So again, why don't you purchase a used phone online? Activate it and start your unlimited data plan prior to July 7th.

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Beka27,

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I'm over-complicating this so hopefully you and others can set me straight. I'm missing something...

Let's say I purchase a TB from ebay. I call verizon and activate it. I wouldn't want to renew my contract with them at that time because I would want a discounted Bionic when they release.

However, if I only activated the TB then I wouldn't be signing on for the unlimited contract and that would push me past the tiered data plans when I actually purchased the Bionic and renewed and I would be on tiered.

If you would, pleas help me with what component I'm not getting here. Are you saying I could effectively be grandfathered by only activating a used TB on my plan without a contract renewal?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you have unlimited data prior to 7/7 youre grandfathered in... if you sign up for a data plan after 7/7 youll be tiered. so if you dont have a data plan id get one now.

as it stands now you can upgrade and keep unl. data provided you have a data plan prior to 7/7
-a Voodoo Charged post-

Last edited:
OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
Ok thanks for clearing that up. I can't just get a DroidX right? I need to get a used 4G phone to be 4G unlimited. Right?

Beka27

Reaction score
Beka27,

Thanks for your replies. Maybe I'm over-complicating this so hopefully you and others can set me straight. I'm missing something...

[snip]

Are you saying I could effectively be grandfathered by only activating a used TB on my plan without a contract renewal?

Yup. Exactly. :)

You could get a used X too. There is no difference between the 3 & 4G unlimited plans. The X is an amazing phone, it would definitely keep you occupied until the Bionic arrives.

You might want to make a run on something used soon tho, I'm guessing those Ebay/Craigslist smartphones will be snapped up pretty quick as more people realize they need to upgrade to unlimited within the next 2 weeks.

John Gi

Reaction score
^quick question so it can be any smart phone right? nd then when i upgrade to the bionic or d3, thats when i renew my contract to get the new price?

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
For some reason (maybe it was something I read) I thought the 3G and 4G billing was different. Such as, someone with a DX and an unlimited plan couldn't buy a TB and upon activating it have unlimited 4G.

Crazy

OP
leland_7

leland_7

Reaction score
So this is true? 3G unlimited is the same as 4G unlimited?

michael7168

Reaction score
I have a good friend working for Verizon and he tells me yes you are grandfathered in the unlimited data as long as you have it before July 7. It is also transferable from one 3g device to another 3g device. He is pretty sure that once you go 4g you will be in the limited data plans. 4g will pull 15GB/sec and 3g is around 1GB/sec now. I am personally happy with my X and 3g so I will wait as long as I can

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums