How To Properly Root and Install Roms

jseiser

Reaction score
I have a Eris that should arrive next week and I want to root it and then install some customer roms. I just am a little unsure of the recovery tools and which to use etc. There seems to be a lot of information out there and I want to ensure that I do everything correct. To Root the phone I see there is a What is Amon's Recovery? It says to use recovery to flash to another Rom, How does one get into Recovery? IS amon's a recovery program, or just a ROM used for Recovery? After I get that sorted out, if I want to install a different rom, I know I put it on my SD card, create a nand backup, and then install the ROM. How do I create nand backups? Is it from Amon's? Or Clockwork or somehow from the phone itself? Sorry for the questions that I am sure has been answered before but I have searched the forums and google before asking.

Last edited:

Opolis

Reaction score
Start reading the xda forums here. The "Eris roll up thread" sticky is a good place to start. Basically you root the phone (One click root is the easiest, and includes Amons recovery), then use Amon's recovery to create a backup and flash a custom rom. The thread i mentioned, along with the rest of the xda Eris Developement forum will explain the details far better than I ever could.

C

cdexsw

one-click-root apps are good but i still prefer to do it old school and manually root devices.

this is still the best guide out there for rooting the HTC Eris.
TheFuzz4 - How To Root Your HTC Eris

Jcase's 1-click-root app is easier. you can find it in the market on your device.

Edit: I was not trying to start back up a thread almost a month old. I did not pay attention to the date. my bad.

Last edited by a moderator: