how to properly go back to gingerbread

OP
ziggieice

ziggieice

Reaction score
its just irritating that i have all this change to get accustom to, if anything i want fixed is the herpderp music player. and it was conformed my friend with the razr had a custom rom mimicking isc.

although i wasn't able to find how to downgrade to gingerbread from 4.0.4 on my phone specifically , google has some interesting results

redneckben

Reaction score
I think if you give it a chance you will end up falling in love with it like everyone else cause I personally am a fan of moto blur and going from ginger to ICS this phone is crazy fast now, also be rally careful what you do following some of the things you find on google that can end badly

OP
ziggieice

ziggieice

Reaction score
i herd verizon's warrenty will replace a phone if you run over it with a vehicle. so if i do brick it and are unable to do anything about it...

OP
ziggieice

ziggieice

Reaction score
ill read up on some comments in forums i guess, if i cant go back i guess i'll bite the bullet and deal with it

Psxmoe

Reaction score
tl;dr

functionality

1. why is it when i right click i cant view "motorola widgets, android widgets, shortcuts and folders. why is every option having to do with a wallpaper.seriously.
2.why when i hold down the option soft touch key i dont get a keyboard.

YES YES AND YES!
I hate it when I press my thumb down on the option softkey and nothing! Nothing! Why!?!?!?!?!? I loved that!!!!!

Sojerner

Reaction score
ICS was forced by Verizon OTA Update last night

I currently have the Thunderbolt and ICS was forced by Verizon OTA Update last night.
I had no warning and no option to opt out. in fact I thought the Thunderbolt was going to skip ICS

Well, I agree with the previous poster in that I too dislike ICS and want Gingerbread back.

So much so, that if I cannot figure out how to do it I am considering smashing this phone with a sledge hammer and cancelling all of my Verizon accountsand going back to AT&T and re-activating my Moto Razr Flip Phone

Gingerbread was working fine, had everything set the way I liked it, and with everything else in the stresses of life, I didn't have to deal with the stress of a new learning curve and hitting a bunch of brick walls with the cell phone at least.

Now with ICS on the phone a bunch of the functionality has changed an has become quite un-attractive.

Now, after doing a little research I find that there was a way to block the OTA updates, sure wish I had know about that before last night...

So, is there anyway possible to go back to gingerbread?
I mean, from the partition to the kernel, custom rom, etc... the whole nine yards?

Please... there's got to be a way.... just saying you can't is not sufficient.

Thanks!

GigaJake

Reaction score
I can't speak on behalf of the Thunderbolt community, but it it's anything like the Droid 4, then no. We have locked bootloaders, and with the ICS update came a new kernel. If you try to fastboot or sbf back to gingerbread, the kernel won't allow it and it will permanently brick your device.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend your perform a factory reset on your phone. Going from android 2.3 to 4.0 and trying to keep the same data is foolish. It isn't optimized or compatible. There have been numerous Droid 4 users complaining that the ICS update ruined their phone, but the majority didn't perform a factory reset.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps trying a factory reset will make the ICS experience better for you. Best of luck.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Sojerner

Reaction score
I can't speak on behalf of the Thunderbolt community, but it it's anything like the Droid 4, then no. We have locked bootloaders, and with the ICS update came a new kernel. If you try to fastboot or sbf back to gingerbread, the kernel won't allow it and it will permanently brick your device.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend your perform a factory reset on your phone. Going from android 2.3 to 4.0 and trying to keep the same data is foolish. It isn't optimized or compatible. There have been numerous Droid 4 users complaining that the ICS update ruined their phone, but the majority didn't perform a factory reset.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps trying a factory reset will make the ICS experience better for you. Best of luck.

Thanks, but no it won't make the experience better, the problem is ICS itself, not a problem with the data...
where can I get a Gingerbread bootloader, and the OLD Gingerbread kernel ?

hmmm.... I wonder if I could buy a used phone with maybe a cracked screen, and swap out the parts that have Gingerbread on them?
where is the OS Loaded?

is it on any particular chip, or would I have to replace the entire motherboard?

Thanks!

GigaJake

Reaction score
I've never used a Thunderbolt before, so I have no idea what your bootloader situation is, but given that it's on verizon, I'm guessing locked. If that is the case, you cannot simply get a new bootloader or a gingerbread kernel.

As for the hardware specifications, I have no clue. If you're dead set on going back, you're better off getting a used phone or a replacement asap, before there are no gingerbread devices left on the market

OP
ziggieice

ziggieice

Reaction score
welcome back from the dead

hi guys, i still hate ics and want gingerbread back but i cant do anything about it so i delt with it, i do miss my universal inbox though

Wilhelzing317

Reaction score
hi guys, i still hate ics and want gingerbread back but i cant do anything about it so i delt with it, i do miss my universal inbox though

Amen to that brother! Imon JB now so i hope its much better than ICS. SO far it much more responsive!