How to Prevent 2.1 Update on New Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droid.i.am, Mar 31, 2010.

1. droid.i.am

droid.i.am New Member

Hi Droid-gurus,
    I'm a newbie here - actually, I haven't even gotten my Droid yet since I'm waiting for my AT&T contract to end tomorrow (4/1) before converting to Verizon. I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks & I'm very excited about the prospect of "rooting" & the plethora of good custom ROMs available. When I get my Droid in the next few days, I'm pretty sure that it will come with 2.0.1 out of the box, right? If so, how do I stop the phone from upgrading to 2.1 when I activate? I really want to root and be able to play with the various ROMs before updating to 2.1 (which I assume will be unrootable for the near future). Thanks for any feedback.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Chances are you wont get the update that quickly. If you do refuse it and root ASAP. Start reading the hack section to learn to root.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Just pray they don't update for you.....check the phone before you accept it.
  4. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

There is a chance it comes with 2.1 OOTB.....
  5. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Not true, droid.i.am. Some folks are reporting that the new Droids are coming with 2.1 installed.

This one talks about what conditions that must be met for the OTA to work:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/33538-android-2-1-update-rolls-out-motorola-droid.html

Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do!
  6. mikes

mikes New Member

Unless you do a web order, the Verizon sales puke will probably activate/upgrade your phone before handing it over.

No problem, though. You can use RSD Lite, along with an available sbf, to get a 2.01 image on it, then "root" (I hate that term) it and then install a 2.1 image which give you control. (that will give you enough to search on...)

Before you worry about any of that, if you're not already familiar/comfortable with basic Linux command line operations, you've got some studying to do. Blindly following "how to" guides, there lies danger.

In short, don't worry about 2.1 being on your new Droid. That's not a problem. Rather, spend your efforts on learning.