[HOW TO] Permanently Root Rezound

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am unlocked i have recovery-ra-vigor-3.13 downloaded on my phone is that the recovery your talking about? what do i do next?

the recovery is an image file that you flash in fastboot from your computer, so you need to place the file on your computer and use some similar commands that you used when you unlocked the phone.

place the recovery image file in the same directory as the fastboot program from when you set up the Android SDK

then run fastboot flash recovery [name of the recovery file here].img

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
did you boot the phone to fastboot mode?

athack

Reaction score
im sorry for being such a pain or for sounding so stupid but this is so new and diff from droid and droid x.... can u explain what thsat means when im in the white screen im connected to the computer type in the commands hi lite fast boot the command box on ythe computer shows something is being written but nothing is diff when mu phone starts back up still no root...
did you boot the phone to fastboot mode?

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
im sorry for being such a pain or for sounding so stupid but this is so new and diff from droid and droid x.... can u explain what thsat means when im in the white screen im connected to the computer type in the commands hi lite fast boot the command box on ythe computer shows something is being written but nothing is diff when mu phone starts back up still no root...

if you got the AmonRa recovery installed boot to recovery and then when you are in recovery under the developer menu there is an option to install su and superuser.

if you still have the phone connected and are up and running, just use "adb reboot recovery" from the command prompt to reboot into recovery

athack

Reaction score
i dont have any option for the su and superuser... i keep thinking everytime the cmd prompt box says sending recovery writing recovery im going end up with su but i dont...
if you got the AmonRa recovery installed boot to recovery and then when you are in recovery under the developer menu there is an option to install su and superuser.

if you still have the phone connected and are up and running, just use "adb reboot recovery" from the command prompt to reboot into recovery

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
when you install the amonra recovery, you are only installing recovery, you are not actually rooting. once the recovery has been flashed, you can then boot to that custom recovery to install the su and superuser to be to use root. you need to make sure that you have custom recovery flashed first.

stankopp

Reaction score
i dont have any option for the su and superuser... i keep thinking everytime the cmd prompt box says sending recovery writing recovery im going end up with su but i dont...

If you have already successfully installed Amon Ra, skip to 1. below. If not, you write the Amon Ra recovery to the bootloader by opening a command prompt on your PC, navigating to the directory where you put adb and fastboot from the SDK. You should have also put the Amon Ra image there. I simply copied mine there and renamed it to image.img. Your phone must be booted to fastboot and connected to the computer with settings as in the OP. After all of that is true, type the command "fastboot flash recovery image.img" ( without the quotes, in my case I typed for the recovery image "image.img", because that's what I re-named it)

1. After successfully pushing the Amon Ra recovery to the phone, power down.
2. Take the battery out and replace it.
3. Reboot by holding down the volume down and power keys until the phone reboots into fastboot.
4. Use the volume keys to select recovery and then press the power key.
5. From the recovery menu use the volume keys to select advanced and then press the power key.
6. From the advanced menu use the volume keys to select install superuser and press the power key and let the phone do its thing.
7. Power down, reboot and you will be rooted.

I hope this helps...

athack

Reaction score
thank you finally got it... appreciate it thanks again...
If you have already successfully installed Amon Ra, skip to 1. below. If not, you write the Amon Ra recovery to the bootloader by opening a command prompt on your PC, navigating to the directory where you put adb and fastboot from the SDK. You should have also put the Amon Ra image there. I simply copied mine there and renamed it to image.img. Your phone must be booted to fastboot and connected to the computer with settings as in the OP. After all of that is true, type the command "fastboot flash recovery image.img" ( without the quotes, in my case I typed for the recovery image "image.img", because that's what I re-named it)

1. After successfully pushing the Amon Ra recovery to the phone, power down.
2. Take the battery out and replace it.
3. Reboot by holding down the volume down and power keys until the phone reboots into fastboot.
4. Use the volume keys to select recovery and then press the power key.
5. From the recovery menu use the volume keys to select advanced and then press the power key.
6. From the advanced menu use the volume keys to select install superuser and press the power key and let the phone do its thing.
7. Power down, reboot and you will be rooted.

I hope this helps...

athack

Reaction score
thank you for putting up with me... lol.. finally got it thanks again...
when you install the amonra recovery, you are only installing recovery, you are not actually rooting. once the recovery has been flashed, you can then boot to that custom recovery to install the su and superuser to be to use root. you need to make sure that you have custom recovery flashed first.

chollroc

Reaction score
Do you need help rooting? Instructions are in the OP. And yes, rooting is a different process for each phone.
I have flashed Amon_Ra. When I go to recovery, it shows CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4. I thought that when I flashed the Amon_Ra recovery, it would overwrite whatever recovery was on my device. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have flashed Amon_Ra. When I go to recovery, it shows CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4. I thought that when I flashed the Amon_Ra recovery, it would overwrite whatever recovery was on my device. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Did you open up ROM Manager and maybe install CMR through that on accident? You can always re-download the amonra recovery to make sure you didn't accidentally install or lose the amonra one, also make sure you are fastboot usb mode.

chollroc

Reaction score
Did you open up ROM Manager and maybe install CMR through that on accident? You can always re-download the amonra recovery to make sure you didn't accidentally install or lose the amonra one, also make sure you are fastboot usb mode.
I have flash Amon_ra recovery 3 different times and it still says CWM.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have flash Amon_ra recovery 3 different times and it still says CWM.

Make a checklist of what you are doing just to make sure.

Is the phone in "fasboot usb" mode?
Phone connected?
You know for a fact that you have downloaded the AmonRa Recovery
No other recovery.img's are in the fastboot directly and the the recovery image for amon ra is the only one there
You ran "fastboot flash recovery [nameoftherecovery].img" with no errors and fastboot confirming that the flash was complete and successful.

Just go through the checklist, step by step, and just double check your work.