How to mount root to PC?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by billygalbreath, Mar 3, 2010.

1. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried searching this, but the results are flooded with 'how to root your droid' information. Who ever coined the term 'root' for unlocking the device made a bad choice for the name, imho.

Anyways, what I am trying to do is mount the root partition (/) to my PC so I can quickly and easily copy (dd) the entire drive to my PC (not just the sdcard). This will then allow me to quickly and easily browse all the Andriod OS files so I can figure out what I can do with this thing.

I've even tried creating a symlink on the sdcard that points to root, but I get operation not permitted errors (my phone is rooted already). I've even tried with busybox but I get cross-device link errors.

Does anyone know how I can mount the root filesystem to my PC? Or maybe even an easier way to obtain all the files on the device to my PC? (my PC is running Debian Sid, not Windows).

Thanks in advance! :)

2. 1033

1033 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    On the right track, but the first line on that page states "This is a Windows based file explorer for Android phones." I will try to run this under WINE, but am ultimately looking for a Linux native way of doing this, not some unfinished Windows ADB application. ;)

4. 1033

1033 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I missed linux at the end. You can't mount the android system in the conventional way you mount the sdcard, you would need to unmount it from your phone (like the sdcard does on usb transfer). You need some FTP style program that uses adb to transfer the files, maybe you could "adb pull / /my/user/home/dir/myandroidphonedump"

Search tags for this page
android mount root usb

android root explorer for pc

android root explorer pc

mount android file system windows
mount android system on pc
mount android system partition on pc
root explorer for pc
root explorer for windows
root explorer pc
view android root files on pc