1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to modify apk?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by stanrc, Jan 21, 2010.

1. stanrc

stanrc New Member

I've been using the modified transparent news and weather widget and love it. I also saw that there is a version out that works correctly with the dock. I'm trying to combine the functionality of the two and make one that displays the correct temps on the dock and is also transparent. So far I'm not having luck though. I've opened up both apks and looked at the files inside, looking specifically for image files that are different between the two. I've moved some around but no luck. I'm starting to think I'll have to edit one of the xml files but when I open them up they just look like nonsense. Is there a specific program I should use to view/edit them? Am I in the right direction here?
  2. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

I thought the one that made the weather work correctly with the dock mode broke the widget functionality...
  3. stanrc

stanrc New Member

As far as I can tell the weather widget still worked fine, just not the news.
  4. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

When .apk's are compiled they are signed with a key from the developer. I don't think you can just go in and edit them. I would think your only solution would be to create a new project in the Eclipse IDE with the Android plugin, which is essentially a Java programming interface which has a Android plugin to create and compile Android .apk's, and duplicate the existing .apk's and combine them.
  5. stanrc

stanrc New Member

Ok, was hoping it would be simpler than that. Thanks
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Stan,

There have been more than a few threads on doing this, and it did not sound too hard to do. I even extracted the apk to take a look at it, but my photoshop skills are weak. Try a search to see if you think you can handle it. Juts a lot of image editing.

But, please be sure to have the latest sprecoveries and backups, as more than one soul did the brick thing messing with that file. I would be sure to have 2b installed, and have adb as a backup.

Craig
  7. refthemc

refthemc New Member

.Apk's are like Zip's and .Rar's, just open it with Winrar and add or replace what you want so that you wont lose the signature, atleast thats what I remember from Theming. Hope that helps a bit.
  8. stanrc

stanrc New Member

Well I'm plenty familiar with editing photos and zip files. I had them both opened up trying to see which files were different and then moved around a few image files that looked to be the necessary ones to make it transparent but after installing the updated apk I made it wouldn't install. So I'm not sure where I went wrong.
  9. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Try uninstalling the app then re install the original. Once there then move the new (edited) .apk file over to the phone. This time dont try to install the apk you made. just replace the original one on the phone.
  10. cplus

cplus New Member

I've tried this with audiowidget.. Did not work. I'm currently searching for a way to resign apks.
  11. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Check out: xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW TO] Manuals for creating a theme

You'll need to read up on some stuff and learn how to do the simple code, but if you read this and follow it step by step and problem-solve yourself it'll work flawlessly... I just learned ADB and resigning in the past 3 days and now its SOOOO easy to pull, edit, resign, and install flawlessly! Go for it.
  12. cplus

cplus New Member

Search tags for this page
edit apk file in eclipse

edit apk in eclipse

editar apk con eclipse
how to edit .apk files using eclipse
how to edit apk
how to edit apk files
how to edit apk on eclipse
how to mod an apk
how to mod android apk