How to make battery last longer...

AngelGears

Reaction score
Hey every one, this is a thread/guide to help people who ate either new to the Droid x or any Droid of how to make your battery last a bit longer. If you know more things to add post them and I will quote you.

People using AVG antivirus:
It has been noticed that the AVG drains your battery because it tracks yoir phone using the gps constantly. Yes this is helpful if your phone is stole but it is also a huge battery drain.

Apps:
After you are done using a App it is a good idea to force quit the appication throught the phones applications. Some people use a task killer but as seen in posts its not "loved".

Display:
I have found that the display of the phone takes a.large amount of energy. The things I have is turned off the animation in the display settings since I dont use a live background, This helps a lot. Also if you can turn down the backlight when you dont need it.

Large downloads:
These take a lot of battery because you are either using alot of the internet or using the network, the best way is to do this on the charger. Or do near a charger and charge after the droid dies.

Battery wear down:
Do not charge your phone when it os not competely dead, let it die then charge to 100%. If you do this your battery should not wear down as fast.

Checking what drains your battery:
In the settings you can look at you battery percentage. It will tell you what has taken the most battery since it was taken off the charger. If desired uninstall these apps or force quit them after every use.

Hope this was was helpful, if you wish to add something post it below and I will add it. Thanks for reading!

Im kinda a noob, these are things that helped me lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Killing apps is deceiving. If you have ever used a task killer you will see that after killing apps if you open your task killer again just minutes later you have a long list of running apps that you never opened or used.

There are many threads that say to close out of apps properly and forget the task killer as it just becomes another drain on the battery. I tend to agree, I don't run a task killer and get great battery life.

OP
AngelGears

AngelGears

Reaction score
I dont have a task killer. Bit i found most of the pre installed apps run constantly even after force kill. So I rooted and removed them, Im not saying a task killer is great but its a method for killing apps that dont open till you touche them again.

DroidToro

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with charging modern batteries before they are down to zero charge. This is a left over myth from the NiCd days.

Liberated Droid X

xCore

Reaction score
Freezing them with titanium works well for me.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm so tired of hearing about task killers... they don't help no matter what the circumstances are. When a app is in memory it can use 0% cpu. So why USE the cpu to kill it?
Its pointless

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey every one, this is a thread/guide to help people who ate either new to the Droid x or any Droid of how to make your battery last a bit longer. If you know more things to add post them and I will quote you.

Apps:
After you are done using a App it is a good idea to force.quit the appication through the phone settings or get a task killer from the marketplace.

An easier and quicker way of doing this is to use the hardware back button to exit rather than using the home button. Also, as someone else said, dont use task killers because they drain battery because it is constantly reloading the app after it gets killed. Another thing i reccomend is freezing the bloat apps (or manually renaming the apk's) because you'll need the apps installed in order to get updates (just unfreeze or rename the apk's back).

Battery wear down:
Do not charge your phone when it is not competely dead, let it die then charge to 100%. If you do this your battery should not wear down as fast.

This is false. Phone manufacturers use Lithium Ions batterys now which does not build up a memory like the older style batteries do.

Something i would recommend is using JuiceDefender/UltimateJuice. By default it cuts off data when the phone is asleep unless you have an app oopen that is using it. There are many other functions this app does that if set up will save a considerable amount of battery.

Also, do the basics.... this means turning brightness down to the lowest your comfortable with and then turning it back up if needed while outside. Also turn off gps and wifi while they arent being used will help save some battery as well.

If i think of something else ill add it.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

qman66

Reaction score
i completely disagree with the op. i tried everything when i was on blur from task killer to changing battery mode to power saver to not using live wallpapers and widgets. none of that worked. the only thing that worked for me was using a custom rom. then all of a sudden battery life has nearly doubled.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
while the intention was good, a lot of this info is misleading/not entirely true.

heres a better written thread about battery life.
How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed

also, note eveyones experience is gonna be different. theres not one thing everyone should do since everyone uses their phones differently.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I turn off my data connection when im not using it, saves me a noticable amount of juice.

qman66

Reaction score
I turn off my data connection when im not using it, saves me a noticable amount of juice.
yes this works on any rom any phone big time. only problem is messages and emails wont come in for me.

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com
A little app called "autostarts"... disable ANYTHING before or after you open anything. I disable all the nonsense that starts after boot and that's it.

No task killers, no battery profiles. I pull 17-18 hours consistently with the OEM Moto EB, everything on and hard core usage.

I see no benefit to have a app running plus extra services just to "try" and stop other apps from running. :)

Great app, give it a shot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
A little app called "autostarts"... disable ANYTHING before or after you open anything. I disable all the nonsense that starts after boot and that's it.

No task killers, no battery profiles. I pull 17-18 hours consistently with the OEM Moto EB, everything on and hard core usage.

I see no benefit to have a app running plus extra services just to "try" and stop other apps from running. :)

Stopping an app from even starting is pointless, if you're on the droid x then it means your nand-locked. So your app that stopps apps from starting is just killing them on boot... since you can't remove the apps or anything like that.

I would just remove the auto app starter thing, it would prbably increase boot time. & I know its probably hard to understand this but android can use 0% cpu when a process is suspended to memory.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
while the intention was good, a lot of this info is misleading/not entirely true.

heres a better written thread about battery life.
How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed

also, note eveyones experience is gonna be different. theres not one thing everyone should do since everyone uses their phones differently.

Thanks Abe! Even though I wrote that, I actually think it sucks now... lol. I have learned alot since I originally posted that, it needs serious improvement.

Best ways to improve battery and performance are;
-If your device is unlocked, use a custom kernel (assuming its better than stock)
-Overclock
-Undervolt
-Sysctl.conf tweaks
-Build.prop tweaks
-Reduce display brightness
-Reduce the frequency that apps fetch data from servers
-Reduce or remove any apps that run actively in memory
-Buy an extended battery
-Recalibrate your battery once a month.
-Be aware of the quickest battery drainers; GPS, Youtube videos, webcam apps...anything that involves fetching data plus displaying videos, anything that "monitors" anything; battery monitors, os monitors..ect, any sort of task killer, auto task killer, or any other sort of counter-productive app.

{{ WugFresh }}

DroidTh3ory

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.th3oryrom.com

Stopping an app from even starting is pointless, if you're on the droid x then it means your nand-locked. So your app that stopps apps from starting is just killing them on boot... since you can't remove the apps or anything like that.

I would just remove the auto app starter thing, it would prbably increase boot time. & I know its probably hard to understand this but android can use 0% cpu when a process is suspended to memory.

I'm not reffering to stopping the apps... I'm reffering to the multiple services that just run in the background for those "just in case" it needs it type thing. ALL apps I didn't want or use have been removed VIA system mount and Root Explorer including any trace of Verizon garbage not needed.

The point of autostarts is to not allow connecting service to run. ie.. when you turn on or open something it will invoke multiple services they "may" be used. For example, at boot I have no reason for Bluetooth share, market, or the service for endgadet to be running. They can start when I NEED them, not just because. It is not a task or app killer, it is a extended functional arm for managing services.

And its impact on the boot time is "faster" because most of the things that normally start are not.

:)