How to make a copy of my Incredible

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by photoADK, Apr 9, 2011.

1. photoADK

photoADK New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dropped my phone this morning and already filed a claim for insurance. I will have a new Incredible on Monday. The old one just has a crack across the screen. It still works fine.

I want to make a complete copy of my phone and clone it to the new one. This means I don't want to lose anything, including text messages, emails, apps, music, UI settings, etc. Can someone point me to the best method to make a complete clone of my current phone on the new one?

Keep in mind that while the screen is cracked on the old phone it is still functional and I can still use the touchscreen.

Thank you!

2. photoADK

photoADK New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one knows? Or maybe there is no way to do it. I have found several ways to back up just apps, but nothing to clone the whole phone. Hoping to have something figured out by tomorrow.

3. dcook12

dcook12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I can be a lot of help, I have a Droid 1 and have wondered this also. I know all contacts are saved on google so hopefully you backed them up there. I have also heard that google has more data backed up....and I believe when you go on the market the first time, it will show you what you had (maybe only ones you purchased..not sure) I have an app called app backup from the market but luckily have never had to use it and hope it does work. Also I have an Sms/MMs file set up in my google account and have the settings so that it saves all incoming and outgoing texts. I'm not sure how you can restore them if you have that set up, but at least they are there if you need them. Sorry, I know this hasn't been a whole lot of help. Hopefully one of the great pros here will chime in...good luck!!! And am anxious to hear other answers for my own curiosity. I would also imaging that if you have a lot of apps on your sd card, you can move them back to your new phone or they should just be available..

4. JustisLewis

JustisLewis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Root and make a backup, then root the new phone and restore the backup you made

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

5. photoADK

photoADK New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you JustisLewis, but can you be a little more specific, or refer me to some step by step instructions? Thanks!

6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The best way to do this would be to root your phone and have a custom recovery. Make a backup using the custom recovery. Transfer the backup to the new phone (swap the SD card). Root the new phone, install the same custom recovery, and restore the backup. You would then probably want to unroot the broken phone prior to sending it back. Droid Incredible Hacks - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum <-- the stickies in that section look to cover what I am talking about. Make sure you read carefully.

For non-rooted methods, you are going to lose some things in transition. Your apps should re-sync to your phone with your google account. This doesn't include data for those apps, meaning settings, high scores....etc that are all saved on your phone won't make it to the new one. If you are using a home replacement app, say something like Launcher Pro, Go Launcher, or ADW some of those have an option to make a backup of their settings and setup, you can then restore them on the next phone. Some other apps I have seen allow you to make backups as well (this is an app by app basis though). Some apps sync to a cloud of some sort, a few games save your high scores online type thing.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&feature=search_result <-- something like that to backup your texts and https://market.android.com/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore <-- that to backup call logs.

7. JustisLewis

JustisLewis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I was planning on posting a more detailed write up when I got to my computer but cupoflol did an excellent job

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

8. photoADK

photoADK New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help! I successfully rooted my phone, made a complete backup, unrooted it and it is now restored to factory settings. Tomorrow when I get the new one I will root it and restore the backup. This seems to have solved my problem.. but I have one concern. If I restore the backup of my old phone onto the new one, won't there be some confusion since serial numbers won't match, etc? Does each phone have a unique ID number to identify it?

Search tags for this page
clone htc droid incredible
clone htc inc2
clone htc incredible
clone htc incredible 2
cloning a pbone useing a droid incredible

droid incredible clone

how do i clone my android phone
how to make a copy of a phone
how to make a copy of my android
htc incredible clone