How to let PS3 run off of 3g

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, This is my first guide but I hope you folks will find it useful. I have seen a couple posts on people wanting to know about how to make the PS3 run on a 3g network.
There are several things to be said about this before I dive into the guide.
First is the simple fact that the PS3 cannot read an ADHOC connection as a wireless connection. Why this is, I don’t know. Maybe a software thing… or maybe even a hardware (probably not hardware as I think the PS3 uses Adhoc to communicate with the PSP via remote play…but not entirely sure [ive been out of the PSP thing for awhile now…Homebrew was much exciting before Android-not that remote play is homebrew lol] ). But that’s why a device is needed to interpret that connection.
Second is even if you complete this guide and run off 3g, Speeds will probably suck, so do simple stuff like browser or Playstation store… I am writing this guide away from my home and ps3 (remodeling my grandpas house in Ohio-he died :()so I cannot confirm that the speeds will even work on the games. I wouldn’t really want to play COD MW2 with these speeds anyway-you will probably be in the LAG Nation.
Third I have actually done this before, it’s confirmed to work on a Vista and XP, I would imagine Windows 7 works as well but I don’t have that.
Now For the Guide, First the ingredients:

1. Laptop, Desktop, Or even a Netbook (it has to have a Wireless card, Sorry old just LAN Pc’s[Buy a Card! Its wifi age anyway])
2. Ethernet Cable
3. PS3
4. A Hacked Device that has Wireless tethering (mines a rooted Droid, Those Unrooted N1 rooters probably work as well [more legal I guess]) *Testing will have to edit later but I think a device with Plug in net connection will work to (PDAnet or a program like it)(All I need to check is if that connection shows in network places, which I’m almost positive it will)

A) The first thing to be done is the hardware stuff, So make your pc setup by the PS3 (which is basically limited by the length of the Ethernet Chord-if it’s a short chord then lol, I hope your not using a desktop. Mines a 25 footer and I use a laptop that sits on my bed.) Next, plug in the Ethernet Chord from PC to the PS3. Now Enable the internet device (Enable the wifi tether *Or plug in the device and enable the tether)
B) The second thing to do now is the tinkering on Pc. So go to your wireless setting and Get on your wifi connection. (not going to say more on this, if you need help PM me or use Google) Next you need to enable the Sharing of a connection. To do this I am not going to rebuild the Great Wall of China so View my Copy and paste at bottom of this post from Microsoft’s site on a How to share connection. Now go to your PS3, Visit the Network Settings. Choose LAN as the connection not Wireless. For the rest of the settings basically go with what it says (I cant remember changing anything).
*sorry for not being specific on the PS3 settings, lol I cant refer to my PS3 at moment. Now everything Should be Peachy, YOU NOW HAVE INTERNET! FROM YOUR PHONE NON THE LESS! Now it’s a guide, So please stop asking on the Forum. *Also I Cant wait for some 4g speeds and such, I wonder if/when someone running on a 4g can tell us how laggy it is in the game department.
"1: go to my network places , select view network connections from the side bar.........

2: select the network connection which is connected to the LAN or hub and go to its property by rightclicking it

3: go to tcp/ip properties fron it and select advance tab

4: their you find Internet Connection Sharing check boxes , select Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection

5.You can enable or disable the allowing of other users to control the connection—users don't need to be able to control the connection to use it.

6.Under Internet Connection Firewall, select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box for this network card, unless you have another firewall between the computer and the Internet. This is very important.

7.Click OK, and Internet Connection Sharing will be enabled.

Note: You must have administrative rights to enable ICS. After enabling ICS, verify that Internet connectivity is still functional on the host computer before testing the client computers. Remember to leave the host computer on all the time or turn it on before the other networked computers, so the client computers can request an IP address from the host. "

Much Love to the Android community;
ilikemoneygreen

Last edited:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm sure this guide will help people, but I think it would be easier to follow if this was formatted in bullet points =)....also try pming a mod to ask him to move this to the hacking section, since this involves tether and this forum is never used.

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well i was going to post it in the hack forum but its a HOW To, and thats what this thread is for. Bullet points are a good idea. And future android devices wont be have to be hacked... (froyo) lol thats what im thinking in my head. I should have named it with the [HOW TO] though....

*Better on the Bullet Pointsness? i couldnt actually find bullet points ^above but think i made it better. And also note just in my defense lol i said device. (i said i was using a hacked device, not that they should, pdanet also isnt "hacked")

Last edited:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The thing is that no one ever reads this forum =(. Anyone who has asked about Xbox or Ps3 tethering has always gone to the hacks forum

OP
ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol, you read it. * just my smart A$$ness. And thats true, i really never go here either but im kind of tired of hearing about it. Thus i write a guide, with hope of no more posts. I dont really care where it is located, just as long as the peeps see it. Also just as a quick question, i dout this would be stickied in the hacks forum so after a day wouldnt people just forget about it?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can request a mod to sticky it because this question is asked one or two times a day. And I only saw this because i was looking at the most recent threads tool

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any of the ones who's names are purple are red, I know for sure those guys can do it. Orange, not so sure about.

thorn11166

Reaction score
as proof of concept i have played Modern Warfare 2 on a 360 with very little to no lag doing this exact same thing, alot of newer games really don't take much bandwidth, but some of the older ones (read Halo 3) do, just because they didn't have the same compressions back then. but don't try any fighting games like Street Fighter, those are bandwidth hogs because it HAS to be fast or it could cost the match.