[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894)

Zero5295

Reaction score
@ken: Nope not here. However, data started getting finicky. It would connect, but it wouldn't allow internet use. :/

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

kenji91

Reaction score
Last edited:

rennert1

Reaction score
How can i root the new ics leak 4.0.4? My system was damage and i flash new the ics leak. Root and su-backup of ota rootkeeper now not avaible:-(

...Tapatalk

grizzy3

Reaction score
How can i root the new ics leak 4.0.4? My system was damage and i flash new the ics leak. Root and su-backup of ota rootkeeper now not avaible:-(

...Tapatalk

Im on the same boat. theres no way to root right but they're working on it. So hopefully soon.

hradek422

Reaction score
Okay, I'm on Stock .219 no root. To my knowledge, I haven't changed anything in /system or the other file that was mentioned. If I'm not rooted, and still plan to be without root, I should be able to skip step 1 without any issues, correct? I'm only asking because I want to do this now, but I'm at work and I don't want to wait until I get home to do this, thus, I don't have my home computer with the program used to flash .219. I should be good to go, no?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
IMO you will want to be rooted. There is a good chance that this will not be the final ICS and you may need root access to update to the final version. So if I were you I would root then update by following the instructions to keep root. But otherwise if you are stock 219 you don't have to fastboot.

hradek422

Reaction score
IMO you will want to be rooted. There is a good chance that this will not be the final ICS and you may need root access to update to the final version. So if I were you I would root then update by following the instructions to keep root. But otherwise if you are stock 219 you don't have to fastboot.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about that. I don't want to root my phone, because I really don't see the point in it anymore. With the D1 having the unlocked bootloader, it was fun. Now it's just more of a hassle than what it's worth.

That said, if there's anyone else out there that is not rooted/ doesn't want to root, and is on .219. Just start with step 3 and work your way down. It's incredibly easy and I had no issues. The first splash screen after the install took FOREVER to load, which worried me, but just be patient. It will work.

zzzwofo

Reaction score
So I used Titanium to remove slacker radio and forgot to setup safe boot. now when I try to install ICS it gives me an error 7. I tried seeing if installing it from PLUS would help it did not. Does anyone have the orginal APK i can install. Any thoughts?
Titanium for some reason stopped doing back up when I switched phones so I have no backups.

kenji91

Reaction score
Okay, I'm on Stock .219 no root. To my knowledge, I haven't changed anything in /system or the other file that was mentioned. If I'm not rooted, and still plan to be without root, I should be able to skip step 1 without any issues, correct? I'm only asking because I want to do this now, but I'm at work and I don't want to wait until I get home to do this, thus, I don't have my home computer with the program used to flash .219. I should be good to go, no?

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't let you flash the update if you're not fully stock on .219. If so, you can always SBF to stock .219 and do it later. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

hradek422

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that it wouldn't let you flash the update if you're not fully stock on .219. If so, you can always SBF to stock .219 and do it later. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

Yeah, I was on stock .219. I went ahead and jumped on the update process before I waited for an answer from anyone, and it worked perfectly. Stock, no root. :)

ghostlobster

Reaction score
Oh man...this is driving me nuts! I really really want to install this, but the lack o a fallback plan is just too daunting. If I had not ended up having to get 4 replacement phones over the past year, I'd be all over it, but I'm totally brutal on phones, hence, I get the replacement contract.
The other day I took my wife's old D3 and put CM9/ICS on it and I LOVE it. For the D4, the major attractions to ICS for me are the new Webtop and Chrome. I grabbed a Bionic lapdock for $50 last week and love it, and would LOVE to be using the ICS Webtop 3.0, and the Crome beta looks sweet. I cannot tell you the number of times I've wished I had the seemless ability to just pick up on my phone where I left off on my main PC. If I were certain that it would not pull me of the OTA ICS upgrade, I'd say screw it and jump on in...

siggma

Reaction score
Retaining Root & su "_mktemp" error.

I flashed this successfully but did not retain root. Apparently OTARootkeeper worked, I did have a copy of su on the system somewhere (/system/xbin or /system/bin) but it failed to run. I think users need to be aware of this possibility and be prepared to wait for a fix should it occur.

The issue seems to be the version of su installed by pressing the "update" button in Rootkeeper. I did press the Update and "Protect root", then "Temp. un-root", then "Restore root" before flashing. The update said I was at the latest version. I can't run it to find out which version it is, having since managed to format the / file system so I no longer have a copy to poke around in. However, the issue generates an error along the lines of:

Code:
... libreloc cannot locate "_mktemp", 
    UNABLE TO LINK EXECUTABLE
Posted from memory but if you have the error you'll recognize it.

At the moment there is no fix and I have to wonder if there will be a way to correct this issue. It will at least probably require reflashing again. I managed to correct my errors after trying to flash a modified copy of system.img which resulted first in a "flash error" and a boot loop requiring BP tools to load the OS. Trying to successfully flash the first few files to reset the error bit resulted in a "Boot failure" message and no boot at all. I thought I was bricked and the average person probably would be. But I recognized that the flash error has something to do with an incorrect checksum or other firmware-based security related data contained in the pre-flash files. There are three of them listed below:

Code:
allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin
mbmloader.bin
mbm.bin

cbt.bin

The first file is flashed followed by a reboot then the second two are flashed followed by a reboot continuing with flashing cbt.bin and the actual system made up of various partitions stored as .img files. The .img files are not all the same. At least one of them (system.img) is an exact binary-copy of the NAND or it's virtual equivalent as an ext4 file system. I was able to easily loop mount it under Ubuntu and edit it without any trouble at all. The boot, preinstall, grfs, recovery and radio image files are apparently varying file system copies. Probably in a yaffs or yaffs2 format. These are the actual system being installed. I'm not positive but I think the first three files and two reboots prepare the NAND for flashing by loading the flash code plus security descriptors or signatures into memory and rebooting followed by flashing cbt.bin which I think contains a list of the image files you intend to flash, their partition types, sizes and probably an md5 for verification. Only then will the flash of the following image files succeed. So, while I was able to successfully flash system.img I was not able to boot and use the system. Not because it's a bad copy but because the flash code never finished so it was left in an error condition resulting in a bootloader error on startup. This is exactly what is intended by the eFuse design, it prevents a hacker from planting or flashing code that did not come from a repurable source, I.E. MotVerDev.

Recovery for me consisted of re-flashing the unmodified system.img, the version that matched the original security certificate. This cleared the flash error but left me with an apparently unbootable software system. I did accidentally attempt to flash boot.img which is probably what caused the next "Boot Failure" along with a list of SDB or SCD or whatever error codes. In any case now that I could successfully run recovery I power cycled the dude, entered recover and re-flashed ICS again. This time it did something unexpected, it deleted the "/" partition and rebuilt it from scratch. It then patched preinstall and system files and a few other things and finally finished with a success. Upon recycling the power I was back on my ICS build but there are now some developer options in the menus that weren't there before and a few slightly annoying screen flashes but I have a working phone again. The real surprise is that I no longer have a copy of OtaRootkeeper, su or su-backup. But the Superuser package is still installed. Strange things ...

Anyway, the short of it is that you could possibly get yourself into a situation where you can't root this device or can't easily root this device and people need to know that before the flash this leaked, obviously still developer firmware update.

Oh, if you do get stuck in the boot loader loop all you need to do is fastboot reflash the first three files listed above (RSD will do this for you) and exit RSD Lite and the error should be gone.

Wilhelzing317

Reaction score
Hey guys I have the GB 219 with safestrap running. What should i do to get the ICS running. Do i just uninstall safestrap and follow the instructions on the first page?

zombi3

Reaction score
Hey guys I have the GB 219 with safestrap running. What should i do to get the ICS running. Do i just uninstall safestrap and follow the instructions on the first page?

Prob should get out of safe mode,and uninstall safestrap recovery just to be safe,

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zombi3

Reaction score
Does the ics leak keep or remove the social network from gb?

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2