[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894)

nowell29

Reaction score
This is important to note. You should update your su binary prior to backing it up. I lost root in ICS because the su binary I had backed up has a bug of some sort. Something about _mktemp . If you run the superuser app and get the latest su binary, you shouldnt have the problem I have. I am hoping to find a way to get it back. i doubt it, but we shall see :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

rennert1

Reaction score
Must be install the 6.13.219 fastbootfile for update to ICS Leak? Or also works with 6.13.215 or older stock rom?

...Tapatalk

grizzy3

Reaction score
Must be install the 6.13.219 fastbootfile for update to ICS Leak? Or also works with 6.13.215 or older stock rom?

...Tapatalk

Pretty sure you have to be on 219. But you can try it anyway. Worst thing happens the installation aborts and you stay on 215.

xDeToXx

Reaction score
Just to be sure, since I don't want to end up with a brick, I have CM9 on my phone on a safestrap partition. If I turn off safestrap and restore the main system, then flash the fastboot file, I should be ok, right?

EDIT: For anyone asking the same question, this is what I did.

1. Turn off safesystem
2. Restore original system
3. Follow steps in http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-tech-support/206972-how-restore-your-motorola-droid-4-xt894-stock-windows-only.html
4. Use the DroidTool to gain root
5. UPDATE THE SU BINARY
6. Follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

@op, it might be good to put in the bit about updating the SU binary. I did everything exactly as I was supposed to, and still lost root. This includes root, save root, temp-unroot, root, flash, root. If they don't update the SU binary, they may lose root and be stuck like I am on a stock, unrootable system.

Last edited:

TooL

Reaction score
If I am already on stock Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894 with no mods is it safe to assume I can unfreeze any frozen apps with Titanium and skip step 1? :icon_eek:

Last edited:

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
If I am already on stock Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894 with no mods is it safe to assume I can unfreeze any frozen apps with Titanium and skip step 1? :icon_eek:

You can attempt to. If the flash in stock recovery fails it will not hurt your phone. It will give you the cause of the error as well so you may be able to avoid having to fastboot.

kenji91

Reaction score
This is probably a noob question but... when you guys switch from GB to ICS, would you then re-install all your apps individually using the Market, um, I meant Google Play or would you use Titanium Backup?

I've always leaned towards re-installing fresh but TiBu seems like a pretty nice app.

For the record, I'd be switching from Eclipse (on 2.3.6, 6.13.219) to the leaked 4.0.4 ICS. Thoughts?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I installed all the apps again from the market, I heard there could be problems restoring apps from titanium from one rom to another, I suppose it would be even worse going from GB to ICS.

kenji91

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I haven't yet grown the testicular fortitude to make the jump to ICS (especially because there's no stable custom ROM yet), but I'm growing impatient.

With the current knowledge out there, do you think I should just take the leap of faith? Just to clarify, I'd have to jump to non-safe and flash this leak? The .206 one? I have the last su binary (3.0.3.2) and Voodoo OTA Root keeper.

And once make this jump, there's no going back (at least not yet). Will the ICS version be full of bloatware (I can freeze them still, right?)?

What would you guys do?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You have to be completely stock, no safe strap or leftovers from it. You'll need to sbf to the stock .219 GB then reroot, use voodoo root keeper and then flash the .206 ICS leak.

There is no going back now or ever....unless Motorola starts unlocking boot loaders and allowing unsigned kernel/boot.img installs.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't yet grown the testicular fortitude to make the jump to ICS (especially because there's no stable custom ROM yet), but I'm growing impatient.

With the current knowledge out there, do you think I should just take the leap of faith? Just to clarify, I'd have to jump to non-safe and flash this leak? The .206 one? I have the last su binary (3.0.3.2) and Voodoo OTA Root keeper.

And once make this jump, there's no going back (at least not yet). Will the ICS version be full of bloatware (I can freeze them still, right?)?

What would you guys do?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

kenji91

Reaction score
You have to be completely stock, no safe strap or leftovers from it. You'll need to sbf to the stock .219 GB then reroot, use voodoo root keeper and then flash the .206 ICS leak.

There is no going back now or ever....unless Motorola starts unlocking boot loaders and allowing unsigned kernel/boot.img installs.

As long as developers are so generously, uh, developing and creating new updates for ICS, I don't see why I'd ever want to step down to GB anyway. The only issue I have is that I've never tried ICS so if for whatever reason I don't like it, I'll be stuck with the stock Blur ICS until a stable custom ROM is released. Being fairly new to the game, how long would you estimate it to be before this happens?

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I finally took the leap. I had to run the .219 fastboot via rsd, reroot, then flash the ics update. The whole process took about 50min. I even managed to maintain root. Now time to check out webtop 3.0 on my new $50 lapdock.

nowell29

Reaction score
hey, tell us about that webtop. I am using my hacked atrix lapdock, but i get only 60% of my screen. There is a big black bar on the top and the bottom and my screen is squished. :( Anybody have any ideas?

kenji91

Reaction score
Another satisfied customer here so far! Got 4.0.4 working smoothly and retained root. Thanks for all of your help!

One question though... I can't seem to switch between CDMA and LTE and I'd like to be able to use 3G for the most part, to save on my battery. Is there an option? I used to use an "app" (really, a shortcut) called 4G Toggle. It still "works" but it just brings me to the network mode option and the choices I have are Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM/UMTS.

Thoughts?

TooL

Reaction score

I can confirm this worked for me. I defrosted all apps with Titanium and proceeded with Step 2 and everything installed fine.

I also did not have to re-install all my apps.... a few required updates for ICS but overall the process was very easy.

Last edited: