[HOW TO] Install the leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build on the Droid 4 (XT894)

MemphisTiger

Reaction score
Same thing 4 times in a row. I tried 212 and 206 last night same thing. When i got phone and it would not do the OTA update to 219. Was getting error then

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would verify you are on 219, if not it will never install over 215. I know you said you RSD back to 219, but I would check just to be sure. Another thought, my wife just got a razr a few days ago. Stock out of the box, all I did was root. Tried to side load the ICS OTA for it and it failed. Read a tip to try wiping the cache a few times and trying again. It work after that, which was strange. I haven't heard of this happening with the D4, but can't hurt to try.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I would verify you are on 219, if not it will never install over 215. I know you said you RSD back to 219, but I would check just to be sure. Another thought, my wife just got a razr a few days ago. Stock out of the box, all I did was root. Tried to side load the ICS OTA for it and it failed. Read a tip to try wiping the cache a few times and trying again. It work after that, which was strange. I haven't heard of this happening with the D4, but can't hurt to try.
That's a good idea. Why don't you guys wipe the cache and wipe data/factory reset to clean everything.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I went through the Razr forums looking for posts with your errors.to get it to work they wiped cache and data, then rebooted. Then they wiped cache again, and rebooted. Then they went back into recovery and successfully updated.

EDIT- someone else mentioned that a cluttered sd card caused a problem, so that person copied the files from the sd card that he wanted keep to his computer, reformated the card using the option in the phone, and then placed the update zip file on the sd card again and resumed the process successfully.

Last edited:

jayetruth

Reaction score
Holy cow. I think it's working.

Only took all day.

In other news--I did delete cache and all when I started with 215. But this time I cleared it 3 times.

I feel like that was the ticket.

So follow directions--- make special precaution to delete cache a few times.

I'll let you know in just a few. :cool:

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
That's great news, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

To clarify, when you started the process you were on 215?

jayetruth

Reaction score
I owe you a beer... or two.

Finally got it working and it is spectacular. I'm on 213 also. So not the file.

The backstory.

OK-- Got the phone on 215, rooted it, and like an idiot deleted some of the stock apps. VZ nonsense--- etc.

You know how it goes. It was an amateur move.

Then they released (what I now realize was) 219. I couldn't get it to install because of my stupidity.

After the ICS leak came out I decided to go back to stock and try to get the update and try to get to ICS.

I downloaded the first link on a different thread How To Return to Stock or something like that and it was 215.

After I installed 215 it prompted for the 219 update... as it should.

And the rest is history... ICS for the win. Thanks dude.

*internet high five*

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Cool! It's interesting that you couldn't flash 219 while you were on 215. So did you flash 215 and apply the update, or did you flash 215 then flash 219?

How about MemphisTiger, did you get it to work?

jayetruth

Reaction score
I flashed 215, took the OTA to 219, flashed 219 just to be thorough and THEN the ICS update finally took.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Your next test will be going from 213 to the next leak (whenever that comes).

You guys will like ICS, my only problem is that embedded videos don't work. It's a hit or miss with that, some people it works and for others it doesn't. I've tried many of the suggestions to get it working but I've had no luck.

Last edited:

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I havent heard of any changes or removal of bugs since it doesn't really have any bugs. That's why I'm still on 211.