How To Install Stock Browser On Kit Kat 4.4.2

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Chrome is the stock browser now and Google is totally doing away with the AOSP browser. Some of you are not too fond of the mobile Chrome browser, and would much rather just have your AOSP stock browser back. There is now a method for installing this browser over Kit Kat 4.4.2. The sad news is that while you will be able to install the browser flash will still not be supported with this browser. Also bookmark sync will not work.

How To Install Stock AOSP Browser:

1. Download the signedbrowser.apk and place in your it in your phone's internal or external storage
2. Go to settings/security settings/ check unknown sources box
3. Use a root browser and navigate to system/apps and install Browser ProviderProxy.apk (you will get installation failed message which is normal)
4. Reboot device manually
5. Navigate to the downloaded file and install signedbrowser.apk
6. uncheck unknown sources from settings/security
7. Profit!

Via XDA

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Whenever Chrome decides to let us choose a custom user agent and have it stick across tabs or app restarts then I'll use it. I've been using Habit Browser for the most part and Chrome only for the rate instance where I have to do something other browsers can't do. I always liked AOSP though so trying this on my G2... Thanks!

Edit: Won't install on G2 4.4.2 for sone reason. The install button does nothing when pressed but the cancel button works fine (yeah "unknown sources" is checked)

Edit : Odd, all apps are giving me that problem.. Maybe a reboot.. Idk. Lol

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Could you use the same process to install Dolphin which supports flash?

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Could you use the same process to install Dolphin which supports flash?

It was the issue where the install Burton becomes unclickabke due to security reasons whenever a screen filter was being used. I thought Lux was the culprit but I remembered I've installed apps just fine with that running so went into Running Apps and had a look and realized that it might be the Echo Lockscreen app that I just installed to test out. I wasn't even using it but the service was still running. After I installed it everything is working fine again :)

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Perfect, now I can go to bed lol. I'm now running the AOSP Browser to type this post on my G2. I forgot how snappy it was. I was just starting to really dig Habit Browser too

Night all

RMK9785e

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M7

Chrome is the stock browser now and Google is totally doing away with the AOSP browser. Some of you are not too fond of the mobile Chrome browser, and would much rather just have your AOSP stock browser back. There is now a method for installing this browser over Kit Kat 4.4.2. The sad news is that while you will be able to install the browser flash will still not be supported with this browser. Also bookmark sync will not work.

How To Install Stock AOSP Browser:

1. Download the signedbrowser.apk and place in your it in your phone's internal or external storage
2. Go to settings/security settings/ check unknown sources box
3. Use a root browser and navigate to system/apps and install Browser ProviderProxy.apk (you will get installation failed message which is normal)
4. Reboot device manually
5. Navigate to the downloaded file and install signedbrowser.apk
6. uncheck unknown sources from settings/security
7. Profit!

Via XDA
My stock browser was ruined with KitKat update. I cannot find a site to download a good copy of BrowserProviderProxy.apk. The ones I find give an error when unzipping stating it is a damaged file. Please provide the link of a good copy that will work for HTC One M7. Thank you.

D

Divergent

AOSP browser is really laggy on all my devices even on my 2,7 Ghz Quadcore latest Samsung tablet.
I'm happy that they will replace aosp with chrome and that would be much easier when they implent it in GAPPS so i don't have to manually unistall AOSP browser and manually install chrome ( beta ) .

Sent through my N7000 using AOSP keyboard