How to install new firmware?

donjuma

Reaction score
Hello there,
I am new to the android community and I am facing some problems. First of all let me say I am a complete noob ( dont know what flashing is) at this so bear with me. Anyways I am trying to put Android GB 2.3.3 (Ice and Fire V.2.8) on my Motorola Milestone. I tried to back up using Rom manager but everytime I clicked back up it rebooted and gave me the triangle with the exclamation mark. So I backed up (my apps only) using Titanium Back-up. Now I put the .zip ( the eact name is iceandfire-v2.8-Milestone.zip ) in the root of my SD card. When I reboot I hold down POWER + X and then camera to get in the recovery menu. Then I have 4 options, (Reboot phone, Install Update.zip, Wipe phone, Wipe Cache). Now in the tutorial I am following it said press install Update.Zip. But when i click that it says that it could not be found at sdcard/update.zip. ( I think it is because when i first rooted my phone i made a file named update.zip but deleted it after, but thats not what im trying to install I want the new firmware. Please Help

EDIT: Basically the main problem I face is I cant get into recovery mode through Rom Manager (I have flashed the clockworkMod already). When I click it, all it does is reboot then the triangle error.

OP
D

donjuma

Reaction score
Terminal Emiulator

Maybe it is because when I first rooted my phone I did something in Terminal emulator?
All i remember was redirecting something to sdcard/update.zip

OP
D

donjuma

Reaction score
I have F;ashed Clockwork

You probably need to flash clockwork recovery again. You shouldn't see a triangle, it should go straight to a green menu.

I have done that many times I even cleared the cache and re-flashed it and immediately clicked boot into recovery and still giving error. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I open Rom Manager click the first one (which is FLASH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY) then click Milestone then it says finished I click OK and attempt to boot.

Thanks for the quick response though!

OP
D

donjuma

Reaction score
No Backup

Maybe try and restore your nandroid backup and the reroot.

I dont have a nandroid backup. I was told that in order to get one I would have to go into the Recovery menu. When I click back-UP on Rom Manager it reboots and gives the same error.

BTW: I am running Android 2.2.1

OP
D

donjuma

Reaction score
NO Signature

I tried again to do it by holding POWER + X after clearing the cache and I clicked install frome UPDATE.ZIP
and this time it said SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED.

OP
D

donjuma

Reaction score
ok

Man im thinking....I would just sbf and start over. Reroot and laid what you want on it.

So basically you want me to reroot a rooted phone. Would that be safe?

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once you sbf you will have an uprooted phone. It will be just like out of the box. Then from there reroot. Sbf'ing will give you a clean slate