How to install Kodi on a Google Chromecast

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Forum' started by Jeffrey, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    [​IMG]
    Kodi is great for streaming locally stored content and TV shows or films across the web. And because Kodi is open-source software, it can be installed on virtually any device and easily modified to fit your needs exactly.

Media streamers like the Chromecast are one of the cheapest, most flexible ways to get Kodi content onto your TV. Google's new 4K Chromecast Ultra, its standard Chromecast or Amazon's Fire TV Stick all provide cheap and easy ways to create a dedicated, portable Kodi device.

How to install Kodi on a Chromecast using a tablet or Android phone

[​IMG]
    There are two ways you can stream content to Chromecast from your Kodi-connected Android device: the long yet power-friendly way; or the quick, but battery-intensive, route.

The long way:
    1. Download ES File Explorer, Kodi, LocalCast and XML file PlayerFactoryCore.
    2. Open ES File Explorer, open Settings | Display settings and make sure “Show hidden files” is ticked.
    3. Next, make sure your Kodi or XBMC media centre is connected to the Kodi app.
    4. Once done, go into ES File Explorer again and open the Downloads folder.
    5. Here you should find the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file you downloaded earlier (if not, navigate to where your downloaded files are saved).
    6. Copy the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file and navigate to Android | Data and look for either “org.xbmc.kodi” or “org.xbmc.xbmc” depending on which streamer you use. Kodi will be “org.xbmc.kodi”
    7. Once open, click through Files | .kodi (or .xbmc, depending which one you’ve used) | userdata and then paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file into this folder.
    8. Open Kodi and navigate to the video file you want to watch.
    9. Kodi will then automatically launch LocalCast – although Android will ask you which casting app you would like to use.
    10. Once loaded, you’ll be prompted to press “Play” and asked which device you’d like to stream to.
    11. You’ll then have to click “Play” one more time, and it should, finally, play on your Chromecast-connected TV.
    The short way:
    [​IMG]
    1. Open the Chromecast app on your Android device.
    2. Open the menu and select the “Cast screen / audio” option and follow the instructions to connect to your Chromecast.
    3. Open Kodi.
    4. Find the video you want to watch and press play.
    5. It will now play out across both devices, but you can’t turn your screen off or take calls.
    How to install Kodi on a Chromecast using a computer
    Streaming Kodi or XBMC content to a Chromecast from a PC isn’t as difficult as you may think, but – like streaming Android content – it’s far from an elegant solution to your problem.

1. Download Chrome and the Chromecast app, as well as ensuring you have a Kodi or XBMC client installed on your computer.
    2. Install Chrome and its Chromecast casting extension.
    3. Open Chrome and select the “Cast” option from your Chromecast extension.
    4. Where you see “Cast this tab to…” on the right will be a small down arrow, click it and select “Cast entire screen (experimental)”.
    5. Once done, your entire computer desktop should be streaming to your TV.
    6. Open Kodi or XBMC and fire up a video to watch.

Source

2. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Does Kodi not have built-in Chromecast support?

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    From what I understand,Kodi Chromecast support is on the to-do list but not available now.

4. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,780
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I'd bet it's probably not on the to do list. Kodi, fmka XBMC, was and still is first, and foremost, a way for you to manage, and watch or listen to...Or see in the case of photos...All your digital content. Not something to stream movies and TV shows. This is what is kind of missing from all these Kodi posts. Originally it was designed as a Windows Media Center competitor. Plug in capabability was added and that's when all this streaming business opened up.
    As such, in its basic "un plugged in form", Kodi is pretty useless on a phone. There are much easier ways to get your personal pics, movies (do you store movies on your phone?) and music to your TV.

I assume we don't want to discuss how to watch current run TV shows and movies on Kodi? That's about the only reason I would want to stream Kodi from my phone.

Kodi was amazing as an HTPC setup. I did have it setup on my laptop which I then connected to a projector and was able to run it using a Windows Media Center remote. I never used it much. I really just wanted to compare it to WMC.

I've been experimenting with this stuff for some time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page
amazon fire stick with kodi
autoboot kodi fire stick
can kodi be installed on chromecast ultra
can you install kodi on google chromecast

cast kodi 17 to chromecasr

how to stream kodi to chromecast

how to use the kodi app with a google chromecast

install kodi to chromecast
installing kodi on chromecast