How-to: Install bugless beast for noobs!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by justinc101011, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Taylorstevens

Taylorstevens New Member

I did to a 'T' but when i click apply sdcard:update.zip, it says "E:signature verification failed installation aborted,

One question though, when it says drag and drop the update to your phone when it's mounted do i have to put it in any specific folder?
  2. justinc101011

justinc101011 New Member

no, it goes in ROOT
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Which update.zip are you using? If it says signature verification failed, there are two things that you have potentially done:

1) You are attempting to install a ROM without being rooted first. If you aren't using the update.zip from the RootYourDroid website, you've got the wrong one. Bugless Beast will give you that exact error if you aren't rooted and trying to install their ROM. FIRST you need to root using the update.zip from post #44. THEN you install SPrecovery. THEN you use the update.zip from the bugless beast thread.

2) You have named your file update.zip.zip by accident.

Mount your phone and simply drag and drop the update.zip directly to that drive letter, do NOT put it in a folder.
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Use this guide, it's a no brainer:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

1. Download all the files you will need first. (You may need to search for them):
    update.zip - Grants super user (root) access to the phone.
    flash_image - Utility used for flashing recovery.img.
    recovery-0.99.2b.img - Thanks SirPsycoS and Sholes.info!!
    virginoem-backup.zip - A clean 2.0.1 ROM with root and busybox.
    sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz - Sholes.info ROM. This is where the GOODS are. Be sure to check for ROM updates at www.sholes.info.

2. Copy 'update.zip' from your computer to the root of your phone's sdcard. Disconnect usb.

3. Turn off phone.

4. While the phone is off, slide open the keyboard.

5. Hold down 'x' and then begin to hold down the power button at the same time. When the screen lights up, you can let go of the buttons. You will now be booted to a screen with an exclamation point in the middle.. Sort of like this /!\

6. Press the 'volume +' and 'camera' buttons together until you see the screen change to a menu.

7. Choose the option to 'run update.zip.' Wait for finish... This update gives you super user or 'root' access to the phones internal drive and filesystem. If you stopped here, you would simply have a 'rooted' phone.

8. Reboot phone.

9. Go to Android Market and install 'Android Terminal Emulator.'

10. If you downloaded flash_image from a differnt source than above it may have a '.zip' on the end of the file name. If this is the case, you will n eed to extract the zip file so you have 'flash_image' without '.zip.

11. Copy 'flash_image' from your computer to the root of your sdcard.

12. Copy 'recovery-0.99.2b.img' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Disconncet usb.

13. Open 'Android Terminal Emulator.' (In the launcher, you will see it is simply called 'Terminal Emulator'.) You will now see a blue screen with command prompt.

14. Slide open the keyboard and type 'su' then press 'enter'. You will be prompted to press 'Allow'. Press 'Allow'.

15. Type 'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system'. This will make the phone's internal drive writable so that we can copy files to it from the sdcard in the next step.

16. Type 'dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/system/bin/flash_image'. It will tell you how many bytes in/out. This copies the flash_image utility to the phones internal drive where we need it.

17. Type 'chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image'. This changes the permissions of flash_image so that we can use it.

18. Type 'sync'.

19. This step was redundant and has been removed.

20. Type '/system/bin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img'. There should be a short pause as the custom recovery image is flashed and then the command prompt will appear again. At this point, the stock recovery screen you saw in steps 6-7 has now been replaced by the one you will see in steps 29-30 and on. This recovery image was written by SirPsycoS and is shared by him at sholes.info.

21. Type 'mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old'. This should prevent the custom recovery from being over-written on reboot. If this step doesn't work for you, skip it. I've haven't witnessed the problem that it is supposed to prevent. bernal125 skipped it without issue. For others, this step has worked without issue.

22. Type 'sync'.

23. Close 'Android Terminal Emulator.'

24. Going back on your computer, extract 'virginoem-backup.zip' so that have you have folder called 'virginoem-backup' with the contents resembling 'boot.img' 'cach.tar' 'data.tar' etc...

25. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'.

26. Copy the folder 'virginoem-backup' from your computer to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard in step 25.

27. Copy the file 'sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Make sure it is spelled 'sholes_info-1.0.1.rom.tgz'. Disconnect usb.

28. Power off the phone.

29 . Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery as in step 5 above. You won't get the exclamation point this time. Rather you will be booted right into the recovery.

30. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

31. Choose 'backup/restore'.

32. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

33. Choose 'Set backup name'.

34. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter.

35. Choose 'Perform backup'. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. To return to FULL stock, visit this thread: *Easiest* way to get back to stock (No root, no busybox)
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

6. Taylorstevens

Taylorstevens New Member

Okay I'll try it again, I was just following it step by step on the rootyourdroid link though, Thanks for your help
  7. Taylorstevens

Taylorstevens New Member

Hopefully last question, is ROOT a folder, I have seen it before on in my file manager app but now I cant seem to find it when my droid is mounted
  8. justinc101011

justinc101011 New Member

Its alright id rather you ask than hurt something. No, Root is the base (top most) directory. Root is the place that you extracted you tools folder in a previous step if you remember. :)
  9. topaz330

topaz330 New Member

anyone have the problem of setcpu not working? i get as far as the allow after clicking auto detect and all i get is a black screen
  10. Taylorstevens

Taylorstevens New Member

Hmm Im still trying to apply the update.zip to root my droid, are we talking about the same thing?
  11. justinc101011

justinc101011 New Member

To apply the update.zip, place it in the root of your sd card then boot into recovery and click install, itll be there.
  12. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

stuck at step 6.
    the tools folder is in ROOT as per instructions, but not really sure what to do now.
    i opened DRH and clicked "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write" and get a force close...

why?

oh ps: what i meant to ask is do i need to be monted or not to my computer at this point? i tried both ways and still got FC

also, USB debugging on or off?

nevermind.. yes mount to computer, USB debugging enabled. works.
  13. justinc101011

justinc101011 New Member

At this step your supposta be unplugged from the computer, no cables or anything.
  14. Taylorstevens

Taylorstevens New Member

Okay Im giving up for now, I've tried everything and followed all of the steps on the linked site and itll still abort the operation when I apply the update.zip, I tried renaming the folder to update.zip as it was just update when i downloaded it from the site and that didnt work. I get signatures cant be verified and I have tried a different update.zip and still nothing
  15. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

stuck at 17..
    opened terminal emulator
    typed "su" and hit enter..
    and it just went to the next line.. nothing to "allow"
    i tried typing in the next line but i gave me an error

what is supposed to happen when i type "su"?
Search tags for this page

bugless beast

bugless beast motorola droid
buglessbeast nandroid
how to install bugless beast on droid
how to root droid a855 with bugless beast
installing bugless beast on droid
pete's bugless beast