How to Install Apps without using Andriod Market App?

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@guidot

thanks for your suggestions.

but i think there is a little confusion on my part that i'd like to clarify:

i've downloaded these apps onto my pc from the internet. i'll be loading them onto a SD Card and going into ClockworkMod recovery and loading the .zip files from there. this should be okay?

also, the zip file for the APP does not have .apk file in it, this should be okay as per your post?

thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@guidot

thanks for your suggestions.

but i think there is a little confusion on my part that i'd like to clarify:

i've downloaded these apps onto my pc from the internet. i'll be loading them onto a SD Card and going into ClockworkMod recovery and loading the .zip files from there. this should be okay?

also, the zip file for the APP does not have .apk file in it, this should be okay as per your post?

thanks

Won't work if you do it that way.

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@hookbill

is what i'm trying to do possible? i thought it would be since when rerooting my phone i followed instructions to reroot and load the SU app via the ClockworkMod recovery...

i have both the .apk file and a .zip file for some apps and wondering how to get them on my phone since i'm unable to download apps from the Andriod Market using the Market App (i've described the problem in a post on Driod Incredible Tech Issues forum "Upgrade to Andriod 2.2 result Market App download & Google Talk authentication issues")

it seems more and more that i'll have to downgrade to and use andriod 2.1 on the phone, or use a custom ROM until software update comes along and hopefully resolves my issues.

any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!

thanks

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have an application in .apk form on your SD card then from within a file manager like Astro or Root Explorer you just select the .apk and choose install from the menu that pop's up and it should install with no problems.

if it is in zip form then either the .apk is located within the zip and needs to be extracted or the file is invalid and will not be able to be used

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@tp76

this pretty much what i expected. thanks for confirming for me.

hopefully someone will have a fix for my original issue, posted in the Incredible Tech Issues forum, of not being able to download apps via the Market App (seems to be also be related to Google Talk authentication problems).

thanks,

Droid_3.0

Reaction score
Well you could try downloading the astro file manager or any file explore straight to you phone via browser and it will auto activate the app installer

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@driod_30

thanks! i was able to do that. i finally have some apps running that i can use!