How to Install Apps without using Andriod Market App?

gjp

Reaction score
I moved this to the General Discussion Forum. Sorry for the empty thread...

gjp

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the apk is the installer. just use astro or find the file in your downloads and click it.

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a new to the forum and still a newbie learning about Andriod... and could use some help... my phone is Rooted with S-OFF.

I am unable to use the Market App (I've posted a thread on this in the Incredible Tech Forum). So I was wondering if it's possible to install apps (zip files or APK) to your phone from your SD card using CWM recovery? How? (When I rerooted my phone I followed instructions to install the SU app through CWM, hence the question)

I realize there are some App Installer programs available on the Andriod Market that can do this, however I can't access the market. Also, I've read this can be done via ADB but I'm afraid I'll screw-up my phone since I'm not a developer and have never used ADB (excpet folllowing Unrevoked instructions) so the question of doing it this way.

I found some Apps from dev or third party websites and got the APK file or zip files. How would I install the APK files without using an App or ADB?

Also when I opened the zip files I did not find a APK file in the list of files (unlike when I rerooted the SU zip file did have a APK file in it amongst others). For example I have an APK (size 138kb) file and ZIP (139 kb) file for SMS Backup & Restore. What's the difference between the 2?

Here is a list of the files found in a zip for SMS Backup & Restore that I downloaded:

icon.png
notification.png
conact_lost.xml
conract_row.xml
help.xml
main.xml
message_row.xml
message_list.xml
preferences.xml
scheduler_prederence.xml
andriodmanifest.xml
resources.arsc
main.xml
classes.dex
manifest.mf
cert.sf
cert.rsa

Is an APK file required if you have the above files? Or is it that the following files make up an APK (and hence I just rename the file .apk)?

Sorry for the many, many questions, but I'm a total newbie and could not find info online to clarify these questions for me....

thanks for any help/advice!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not double post. It can get you banned.

I replied to your other post already.

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@guidot

thanks for instant reply! i moved the thread to the General Discussion forum before seeing your post. i did not mean to double post. just did not think my question belonged in the FAQ forum.

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. I did not mean to, just did not think my question belonged on the FAQ forum so moved it to the General Discussion forum.

I don't have Astro file manager on my phone, or any other file manager. So I'm not sure how to find the apk on the SD card. Also some of the apps I downloaded (zip files) did have a apk file in it. How would I got about loading these apps?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. I did not mean to, just did not think my question belonged on the FAQ forum so moved it to the General Discussion forum.

I don't have Astro file manager on my phone, or any other file manager. So I'm not sure how to find the apk on the SD card. Also some of the apps I downloaded (zip files) did have a apk file in it. How would I got about loading these apps?

When you open the zip you should just be able to open the apk from there. Either that or unzip it into the downloads folder then click it and astro should ask if you want to view the apk or use app manager.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder why you cannot access the Market and where you are getting the apk's that you are trying to install if you cannot access the Market ?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder why you cannot access the Market and where you are getting the apk's that you are trying to install if you cannot access the Market ?

The internet? You can get free version apps on the internet, but you can not update them.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I realize that - I would still like to know why the O/P is unable to use the Market App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a General Statement and not an accusation - The Discussion of Paid Applications for Free can get you a short break from the Forum - Please keep this in mind throughout this Thread

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I'm not discussing anything regarding paid apps.

I have installed an apk from the web, it was a free app however, which is within the realm of the terms of the forum.

I'm only suggesting this is possible.

I would not suggest anything about stealing from developers.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
G

gjp

Reaction score
@guidot

i do not have astro file manager or any other file manager on my phone a result of not being able to use andriod market app. not having these how would i click or install these apk's (from the sd card) on the phone?

some of the zip files of the apps do not have an apk in the zip. so what to do with these apps? i've given list of the files in the zip file in the first post.

@tp76

please see my post in the Incredible Tech issues forum "Upgrade to Andriod 2.2 result Market App download & Google Talk authentication issues" describing the issues i'm having using the Market App. any help greatly appreciated!

thanks,

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I'm not discussing anything regarding paid apps.

I have installed an apk from the web, it was a free app however, which is within the realm of the terms of the forum.

I'm only suggesting this is possible.

I would not suggest anything about stealing from developers.
I know...No Worries :wink:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@guidot

i do not have astro file manager or any other file manager on my phone a result of not being able to use andriod market app. not having these how would i click or install these apk's (from the sd card) on the phone?

some of the zip files of the apps do not have an apk in the zip. so what to do with these apps? i've given list of the files in the zip file in the first post.

thanks,

If you can connect to your computer you can try renaming that specific zip file name*.apk (where name* is the original name of the file). It should be in your download folder. You can access that folder by opening the web browser on the phone, hitting the menu softkey, and selecting "downloads" to click and install it.

If it just can't be renamed it wont hurt your phone by trying to install it. It will just say that it isn't a valid apk.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App