How To Install Android 5.0 Lollipop Nexus 5 Nexus 7

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you own a Nexus then chances are you are pretty familiar with flashing a stock image to your device. Last week Google released an all new 5.0 Lollipop Preview build. There are several changes, especially in the Material theme. Installing this is actually pretty simple. You will need to have an abd/fastboot environment setup on your PC or mac. Normally this means having the adb.exe and fastboot.exe files stored in a folder. If you don't already have that set up you can find some pretty simple instructions here.

Once you have the adb and fastboot environment setup you can head to the link below to grab the image file. This will be in the form of a TGZ. You will need to extract the file. then copy the 5 files within the folder and then paste those into your folder containing the adb and fastboot files. Once you have copied and pasted the files simply double click the "flash-all.bat" and the install script will begin. Your phone should be in bootloader mode (from power off, press and hold volumedown+power), and should be connected to the pc.

Download Android 5.0 Lollipop

tommyz

Reaction score
I wish I didn't hard brick my 2012 Nexus 7. I really wanted to try the new L out.:(

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Challenge accepted. Downloading now.

jakenader123

Reaction score
Its so smooth on the nexus 7, I can't wait to see how fast it is on newer hardware like the droid turbo.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Man, I decided to take the plunge and put this on my Nexus 5. I have no words for how beautiful and smooth this OS is. Re-downloading all my apps for me from backup. Will see how it goes.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Good job.. Let us know your thoughts.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Initial thoughts. I want to see this on the Nexus 6 and a bigger screen. :)

Secondary, so far smooth as silk with no lag whatsoever, though the N5 never did anyway. I love the new lock screen and pull-down notification bar. The animations are great, the flat design is all sorts of sexy and finally matching.

I hated that KK was white with some blue leftover from ICS. Everything is uniform now, so I feel that makes it seem more complete.

There are hardly any apps installed by default, this thing is bone stock, like a fresh install of Cyanogen. There are some downsides to that, you have the default Calendar app, so if you install Google Calendar you will have two apps. Same for the web browser, you get the default, so if you install Chrome you will have two.

They still have the stock Gallery, which I wish they would remove since I use Google Photos, but I guess not everyone does. So again, two apps for one purpose. I can't seem to get my work Exchange working yet with the default app, even though it worked great before.

That is the only thing I have seen not work yet. Moto 360 is connected and working as planned, though I did have to reset the watch to get my phone to see it again. Though, that is not really a big deal since all the apps reside on the phone anyway, I just chose to re-sync them all from the Android Wear app.

All in all, I am blown away so far with this OS. I do fear how other manufacturers are going to treat this OS though with their skin. I feel like no one will do it justice besides either the stock experience, or the close to stock from Moto. Time will tell.

jakenader123

Reaction score
Android L looked ugly to me but after using android lollipop preview, the changes that google made just make it look amazing.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My Nexus 7 loves this. It's really quick too.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I stopped using wifi calling on my TMobile LG G3 and think I'll be putting an AOSP 5 rom on my phone when one comes out. Time for some pure android! ...if there is pure Android for my phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The revolution begins...

Now I have to shop for a Nexus on eBay or Swappa!