1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How to install an FC free Chevy ROM

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by maseren, Jun 22, 2010.

1. maseren

maseren New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm just one of those people that had issues on initial installs of Froyo, and could NEVER figure out why, until recently. So I wanted to throw a few hints and tricks (mostly common sense) on how to install the ROM.

1. Backup your ROM via ROM Manager obviously.
    2. I won't get into the details here as many threads exist for this, but basically install Chevy's rom. Work with his basic kernel, clock it down to 550 to be sure.
    3. Here is where my suggestion will upset some people. Do NOT allow market to install all your old apps. Control this part, and install them slowly one by one. Do not use TITANIUM Backup to restore your apps, JUST yet. Hold off. Make sure chevy's rom is as basic as it gets, and then rom manager back it up.
    4. Test the rom with basics. Gmail, maps, Email if you want, basically whatever comes in the stock rom. Run it for 12 hours plus, and see if it does not randomly reboot or FC. Yes this is annoying for a lot of us as we hate to wait without our apps and games, but remember this is for those people that have had FC's and random reboots, so be patient.
    5. If you do not have issues, it means that Froyo is good to go on your phone. Next step, start playing with the kernel speed and see if your phone can handle whatever speed you'd like it to handle. Update kernels, etc...
    6. Now you're ready to do more testing, start loading your apps on, preferably two or three at a time, and let the phone run for 2-3 hours and see how well it holds. Avoid for now, apps that sync. ie. BBC for example, Engadget, and many others, Weather apps as well. . TEST. If stable, excellent, if not, start removing apps that MIGHT cause the reboot or FC. Avoid widgets for now.
    7. Once things are stable again, start loading widgets and apps that sync and send data online.
    8. At this point it is pretty straight forward, just be cautious what you load with Froyo. Remember, right now only the N1 has official froyo, so many apps do not support it as of yet.
    9. Lastly, I suggest YouMail be avoided, as it was the cause of my reboots.
    Good luck everyone, and hope this helps some of you.
  2. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Sounds like a real hassle. It was easier for me to just try another kernel that allows me to run my phone as I want to run it. Installed all apps from the market in about 15 minutes and it was done. If the kernel can't handle a certian app well, then the kernel is at fault, not that app. Now...if every kernel I tried had the same FCs on a certian app then I would blame the app.

Nate
  3. maseren

maseren New Member

Nate, I appreciate your input, but keep in mind this was with extensive testing and trial. I tried, over 10 kernels before finally doing the suggestions I put above. People are welcome to use them or not use them. I did not put my input for criticism, I put it there to help those that CAN use it. For those that are ok, that is great news, but for those struggling like I did I figured it would help them out. One app, can totally ruin your installation, and no it's not because of the kernel. If the app was not designed to install properly on an OS then crashes DO happen.
  4. MrC1122

MrC1122 New Member

come on guys, lets play nice =}
Search tags for this page

fc rom