How to install a lot of APK's at one time???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by icculusX, Apr 27, 2010.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ok, I will be brief here. Basically I pulled every single APK off my phone, system/app - data/app - and even ext-sd/app... Then I am editing EVERY one to change icons and graphics within the app to my liking. After that I have been resigning them and re-installing, but this will take WAY too much time for every one.

I was wondering if there is an easy way to get ALL of my APK files to my phone after editing? I can ADB push them, but that'll take long also. Could I use an update.zip and rip it apart so it only installs my new APK files, and if so how do I control the apps2sd ones?

I dont even care if I have to recompile a full update.zip with my current ROM (UDv10u) and wipe everyhting, just as long as all of them get put back on and in the correct places... ideas you hackers?
  2. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

adb push should accept wildcards... Also iirc you can just separate the apps out on your PC then push the entire folder to your device:

adb push /path/to/pc/folder /path/to/device/folder

Or

adb push /path/to/pc/folder/* /path/to/device/folder

:)
  3. icculusX

Ah, didn't know you can push an entire folder. Thanks man, that just might be the ticket. Really appreciate your fast response bro. If you don't mind I have follow-ups then:

- First off, when I edit all my APKs and some are market apps, if I push a folder of them back to my system or sd-ext will they be recognized and work properly as long as they are re-signed? (i only ask because I ahve only re-installed re-signed market aps after editing)

- Secondly, what does wildcards mean?

- Lastly, I am still interested in an update.zip method also only because it woudl be the simplest way to apply all of them at one time, in case I need to wipe my system... THANKS!
  4. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

NP :)

I'm unsure of the answer to your first question... I do believe that the installation procedure only copies the apk over to the correct folder (for most apps), but I could be wrong. Now I'm curious... will you post back and let us know?

Wildcard is typically the * character... it's used to match anything and everything... so *.txt would match all .txt files etc...

As far as update.zip goes... if you're dead set on it, the best thing to look into would probably be the tar.gz installation procedure that SirPsychos recovery offers... I know there's some write-ups around about it, but haven't looked into it much myself.
  5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Creating an update.zip or "fake nandroid backup" would also be an option. I don't think you can hit sd-ext with these though, so you may have to do that one manually.

Something else that may help you with this, or in the future, or just for fun. [TOOL] Android Commander 0.7.8 - noobs friendly edition ;) - xda-developers Mass installations are possible with it, as well as mass pulling and pushing.
  6. icculusX

7. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

If you are using the clockworkmod recovery you can get relentless rom roaster and add all your apk's at the same time.
  8. icculusX

Hmm, thank you. I will look this up also as I use both clockwork and sp.
  9. Erron

Relentless Appz

It works really well. You load a rom up..add or remove any things youd like, and it creates a custom rom just for you.

Come to think of it..I wonder if this is what BD was doing.
  10. icculusX

Thanks a lot bro...

(Aww please. Not here too. It's like blackdroid stabbing is everywhere, no rebuttal please this is my thread and it has nothing to do with UD)
  11. Erron

hahaha I know. just crossed my mind. I won't get involved int he wrong or right of it. Sorry.

Just be advised..it will not work on nandroid roms.
  12. icculusX

Ok sweet...

Anyone know if you push a re-signed market APK back to phone if it works? I know installing it works fine, but what if you just ADB push it back?
  13. icculusX

Ahh so I just finished editing all the graphics in EVERY apk on my phone. One more issue, I know how to re-sign them one by one in windows terminal using the java testsign... anyone know how I could batch them all at once (just a MAJOR time saver)
  14. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

You can make a batch file to do this for you... the simplest way is to make a .bat and place it into the folder with all your APKs then run the bat from the command line. The contents of the file should look something like this:

Code:
    echo off
    for %%f in (*.apk) do java testsign %%f
    You may need to tweak this for your needs, but it's pretty simple. In English it reads: For each file (%%f) in the set *.apk (all of the files that end in .apk), do the following command: java testsign %%f (where %%f is the replacement variable for the filename in each iteration). The echo off isn't really required, just turn it on to see what it does.

Save the file (from notepad or something) as whatever.bat in the same folder as your APKs then run it from the command line.

Hope this helps.
  15. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

Come to think of it... this is your answer to installing multiple APKs at the same time too:

Code:
    echo off
    for %%f in (*.apk) do adb install -r %%f
  16. icculusX

Wow, thanks man, I feel bad because I just started a different thread on this. I will give it a shot and see how it goes... thanks pal!
  17. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

No problem man :)

Make sure and post back if it all works out for you :icon_ banana:
  18. icculusX

I sure will, so far its resigning them flawlessly! Oh to think I was getting ready to type each file in one by one, gosh...

As for placing all of them back on my phone, I have had issues. Obviously the system/app directory has run low and some got pushed to the data/app, also I am using the apps2sd and a bunch are on there. Personally do you think it would be better to just push them all at once to each directory (that would over-wright i believe) or should I try to wipe and install my ROM clean, then push them in?

I woudl LOVE to use a Update.zip or Clockwork of my ROM to edit in all the files, but this probably won't work because of the whole apps2sd thing...
  19. Dustinmj

Dustinmj New Member

I think you should try out the code I posted above for re-installing... it uses adb's "-r" switch which instructs adb to replace any existing app while retaining data... this way, the apps will be placed into their respective folders.

As for apps2sd... I think you may have to set that all up again after you install... but I'm not sure.
  20. icculusX

OK so I have tried the BAT above to attempt a reinstall of my APKs but it errors on each one... I tried simply using ADB to push the directories of system/app and data/app to the phone, but I get stuck on a bootloop... I also tried the Android Commander ([TOOL] Android Commander 0.7.8 - noobs friendly edition ;) - xda-developers) as suggested, which is a pretty sweet tool, kind of like a visual ADB... however after deleting the APKs and moving new ones in the phone again got stuck in a boot loop.

I got to go to work now, so if anyone can help leave it for me... I had enough recoveries for now hah... thanks!
Search tags for this page
adb batch install
adb install multiple apk
batch apk update

batch install apk

bulk apk installer
how to install apk within onetime
how to install multiple apk in one time
install multiple apk at once
loads lots of apk on phone at one time
mass apk install

mass apk installer