How to improve the Nexus battery

Mike8016

Reaction score
I just came from the Bionic and I used to be able to last all day. Now I see my battery draining like crazy. I bought the extended battery but what else can I do ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Only real way to improve the Nexus battery is to root and flash a ROM & kernel.

Stock battery life is pretty mediocre. Even if you turn off everything automatic.

OP
Mike8016

Mike8016

Reaction score
Only real way to improve the Nexus battery is to root and flash a ROM & kernel.

Stock battery life is pretty mediocre. Even if you turn off everything automatic.

Could I receive ota updates if I flash a from?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Normally no. And besides, devs usually push out OTA updates themselves before you'll ever get it from Verizon, that's how we got AOSP JellyBean ROMs already.

If you do receive an OTA while rooted, it will cause you to lose root. But like I said, whatever OTA Verizon pushes, most likely devs already worked that OTA into their ROMs and you'd never see an OTA notification

OP
Mike8016

Mike8016

Reaction score
Normally no. And besides, devs usually push out OTA updates themselves before you'll ever get it from Verizon, that's how we got AOSP JellyBean ROMs already.

If you do receive an OTA while rooted, it will cause you to lose root. But like I said, whatever OTA Verizon pushes, most likely devs already worked that OTA into their ROMs and you'd never see an OTA notification

What's roms do you recommend?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What's roms do you recommend?

There are a ton of quality ROMs available for the Nexus. Any of the aosp ROMs are good imo.

Here's a thread from our sister site that has a huge list of aosp ROMs for you to choose from: Aosp jellybean roms

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of quality ROMs available for the Nexus. Any of the aosp ROMs are good imo.

Here's a thread from our sister site that has a huge list of aosp ROMs for you to choose from: Aosp jellybean roms

Great list Dezy linked to. And might I recommend Slim Bean if battery life is your main concern? I get over 3 hours screen on and have seen over 4 with almost 24 hours uptime. The dev is very responsive with fixes and has several very useful mods implemented.

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
im running stock and on the 2nd day with an extended battery its pretty bad. 2 hrs with no use its down to 67%. Any suggestions on how to improve and I dont want to root this !

OP
Mike8016

Mike8016

Reaction score
im running stock and on the 2nd day with an extended battery its pretty bad. 2 hrs with no use its down to 67%. Any suggestions on how to improve and I dont want to root this !

I am in the same boat. I came from the Bionic. I am thinking of selling mine. The battery is brutal on this. Its a nice phone though

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As I mentioned the only way to improve stock battery life is to turn off anything and everything automatic. Even then the battery life on a stock Nexus is mediocre at best

You can try an app like JuiceDefender, but I doubt it would help you much.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Great list Dezy linked to. And might I recommend Slim Bean if battery life is your main concern? I get over 3 hours screen on and have seen over 4 with almost 24 hours uptime. The dev is very responsive with fixes and has several very useful mods implemented.

^^^THIS ..wow, over 4 hours screen and 24 uptime?! Unheard of on an LTE device, nice!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

That is insane battery life. I'm gonna flash it now

Did you change the kernel or just kept the one that came with the ROM?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Got slimbean installed.

Not a fan of the smaller slimmer look, but I'll give it a few days to get used to it. Messed a bit with the settings, and couldn't change it. "Device options" under settings FCs too.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Got slimbean installed.

Not a fan of the smaller slimmer look, but I'll give it a few days to get used to it. Messed a bit with the settings, and couldn't change it. "Device options" under settings FCs too.

What's smaller? Like the fonts etc?! Screenshot!!