How to have a Fresh Start?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TOPDOG954, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TOPDOG954

TOPDOG954 New Member

First things first...I am totally new to this. I heard about "Rooting" my DriodX so I have started to research. First YouTube then here. I have watched many videos and read several threads. I am determined to accomplish this, as I would love full control of the device that I paid so much for and use endlessly. With that being said, I would like to first start my "Rooting" process with a fresh, wiped clean DriodX.

Is there a step-by-step process where I can do something to the equivalent of reformatting the phone back to a condition similar to it being "out-of-the-box"??

And then....

What would be the order of process of downloading and installing the "Rooting" programs?

-z4roots (which I am confused if it is still available or not, I searched for it in the Market place and it wasn't found)

- Titanium backup (is this the correct program?)

- Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper
    (is this the correct program?)
    - Rom Manager (is this the correct program?)

is any of this done on a computer or is it straight from the phone?
  2. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

SBF will return it to "out of the box" condition (even removes root). Z4root was removed from the market months ago. It can still be found online though the DX's browser can get in the way at times so, you may want to dl'd it on your PC and transfer to your SD card. Or you can shoot me your email address in a Private Message (PM) and I can send you the app directly.
    Titanium Backup is to restore your apps and their data after doing data wipes between ROMs.
    Personally, I'd stay away from ROM Manager, its goofy these days. Just use the Bootstrapper and you'll be fine. Of course, we're here to help as well :)

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App
  3. TOPDOG954

TOPDOG954 New Member

Thank you for your advice,

so I've researched the SBF (bc I didn't know anything about before) and what I've found is that i need to download several files onto my computer followed by a series of putting the phone into different modes by pressing a combination of buttons .

Are these the correct items to download on my computer?
    -Here are the SBF files links:
    http://tinyurl.com/DroidX-Full-2-3-32... (2.3.320 SBF Full 2.2.1)
    http://tinyurl.com/DroidX-SystemOnly-... (2.3.340 SBF System only)

-RSD Lite:4.9 http://db.tt/QLOhHH8 :password (alabama)

-Motorola Droid X Drivers:http://tinyurl.com/Motorola-Driv*ers (THIS LINK IS NO LONGER WORKING/ACTIVE)
  4. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Since you aren't rooted the easiest way "to get a fresh start" is just by doing a factory reset, which will essentially just wipe your data partition and get rid of all your apps and preferences. Best of all you dont need any special software to do it, the functionality is built into your phone!

It may be a little different on your Droid X but here's how I get to it on my droid: settings --> privacy settings --> factory reset. The other way to do it is via the recovery console, which I have no idea how to get to on a Droid X.

The way Droid Does is describing is really only useful to people that have rooted their droids since it wipes everything (custom recovery, kernel, /system, /data, etc..) out in one shot. Essentially all you have to do (at least for the original droid) is download the correct drivers for your OS (either 32 bit or 64 bit), install RSD Lite (which is the program that you use to flash the SBF), connect your DX to your PC via USB and reboot it into the bootloader/programming screen, download the correct SBF file for your device and use RSD Lite to open it, tell it to flash the phone, wait about 5 minutes and your done!
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. TOPDOG954

TOPDOG954 New Member

brando56849 I like the sound of that, much simpler.

Am I being too paranoid thinking that a "one click" rooting procedure is sufficient?

I've gotten myself it pickles before doing that fast way and the first way I find. What are your opinions?
  6. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Ive never really used any of the newer one-click solutions such as androot or Z4. The last time I rooted (months ago) I used dmupdater (which doesnt work for the DX AFAIK), which essentially was the pre-cursor to all these one click solutions.

I (along with others) feel its best to root manually (ex. without a one-click app) your first time so you actually know what your doing and can troubleshoot stuff later on. As for the actual rooting procedures of the DX I have no idea since its completely different compared to the droid (DX has a encrypted bootloader while the original droid doesnt).
  7. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

I rooted my D2 last night with Z4....no problems. I have the APK if you need it.
  8. TOPDOG954

TOPDOG954 New Member

I agree with you that rooting manually would be more beneficial for myself and probably more stable for my phone. I know you may have a different phone than I do but what are the main components (programs/applications) I need in order to accomplish this? I know it is probably basically the same steps with the same types of programs, I should only have to find the versions I need for the DriodX...
  9. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Actually its completely different since the DX has a locked bootloader. My droid readily accepts a custom recovery but IIRC in order to boot to the recovery on the DX it needs to be hacked so that it hijacks the boot process and loads the recovery instead of the normal OS. Thats about as much info as I can give you.

We do have a Droid X hacking section you know. You actually should have posted this there since it pertains to the Droid X and not the original Droid.
  10. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

The only reason I brought up sbf was because of the "out of the box" question he had.
    There's no need to sbf or factory reset before rooting unless you want to. In which case, as Brando said, its quite easy to do. Just take your time and ask questions vs guessing...you'll be glad you did later.
    Rooting with Z4root is extremely easy and it has VERY few issues, if any. I've walked countless members through it and taught them along the way. ROM Manager isn't needed because Koush's Bootstrapper flashes Clockworkmod Recovery to your phone and even reboots you into it.
    I have no issue at all walking you through whatever you would like to do and I know others won't mind helping either :)

DroidForums Junkie!!
  11. Underfoot

Underfoot New Member

Fresh Start 2?

I have a problem. I can't find an answer but I kinda like where the information you had was going.

I found out that my bf (now ex) installed spyware to know my biz while he was out cheating. His sister just told me!!!!! I am so upset. I started to see a few odd things with my phone like, new icons, GPS etc function but thought I had pressed a button in error.

Do you know if by factoy reset, it will remove the spyware?

I don't know what to do?

I apologize if this is not the correct area to post but seeing "fresh start"...

I have a Motorola Droid X.
  12. TOPDOG954

TOPDOG954 New Member

I did some more searching around today and found a post on a step-by-step to Root my DriodX. Now I know you were kind enough to give me a step-by-step but I didn't want you guys to feel like I was letting you do all the work....This is what I found, I thought it might be good bc it has all the DL links

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/112209-z4root-droid-x.html

What do you think, or do you have something better I shuld try?
Search tags for this page

android fresh startup

verses by how to a fresh start
what android file has fresh start