How to hard reset Samsung Epic S4

Tim R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Epic 4
Found a post on this but can't 'refined' it. I have a Samsung Epic that has lost all icons and most functions...except the actual telephone phone usage/setup...can still make and receive calss/messages...but that's it

Lost all icon on home screen only have four default icons at bottom of window Applications icon will open sometimes but I can not get it to scroll down to 'Settings"...small paper type icon on far left bottom has no effect...nothing opens/launches

The forum post I saw previously said to remove batter for 30 seconds..then replace and boot holding the volume down and reset button on top side right. Worked once but phone froze again when apps was clicked.

Now I can't get the same procedure to work ?

Any thought on how to do a factory reset without access to the settings window ?

Thanks Tim R

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If a factory reset didn't restore functionality once, doing it again probably won't fix it this time.

How long have you had the phone?
I don't see where the op indicated he has performed an FDR. He is asking how to do the same.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The forum post I saw previously said to remove batter for 30 seconds..then replace and boot holding the volume down and reset button on top side right. Worked once but phone froze again when apps was clicked.

I was going off this. Not being totally familiar with the phone I inferred this was how you accessed the menu to do a hard reset.

OP
T

Tim R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Epic 4
I was going off this. Not being totally familiar with the phone I inferred this was how you accessed the menu to do a hard reset.

Had this phone for about 3 years

Ok...sorry for the vagueness...this is what's up currently:
All my icons are gone...the Home Screen shows only shows at the bottom 'Phone' - 'Contacts' - 'Messaging' and 'Applications' (no icons on screen window) but 90 % of the time...between reboots...the only one of the four icons that work is the phone...thankfully it always seems accessible

Once or twice (out of dozens of attempts) rebooting via taking the battery out for 1 minute...and launching the phone while holding the power button on top right side and sound/down button on top left side together...I have gotten into the 'applications' screen list...but...I can not get the screen to scroll down to reach/access "Settings" to do a total factory reset.

That's were I'm at today...is there any hope of actually access setting so I can do the factory reset/reboot ? Any other way to factory reset with out accessing settings ?

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Gotcha.

So, with this information in mind, have you done this?

Press and hold Power + Camera + Volume Down. when Samsung logo appears release only power button. In menu select Factory data reset.

Apologies for the slight lack of clarity here; it's the first link I could find with instructions. Let me know if you can't figure out what's being asked here, I'll try to get something more clear. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

No worries. I thought that's what you might have inferred. Just wanted to be sure perhaps that I wasn't misreading either.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
The Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch? You should be able to boot in to recovery and clear your cache and dalvik cache. This should help get the phone booted.