How to guide: Disable double notifications when using handcent sms

harpua19

Reaction score
I have disabled EVERY setting in the native SMS app.

I still get a pop up from my native SMS app every text I get.

Handcent just doesn't get the text, but it is there when I open it through handcent. I just keep getting that native sms pop up over and over

2DeeZy0

Reaction score
I couldnt get this to work for the droid incredible could someone please tell me how to disable my default messges?

tdp124

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading this forum and using it as a reference since I got my X at the end of August.

I've read this entire thread, every post, and no one seems to be describing the same issue that I'm having regarding double notifications. I realize it's a couple months old, but it's still a very similar issue, and if this thread isn't already stickied then having it back at the top of the threads list won't be a bad thing anyway!

It happens unpredictably, but it seems usually after my phone has not been actively receiving texts in the past [some amount of time]: the first message I receive will come through twice. By this I mean, Handcent SMS reports 2 new messages from the same user, yet they are identical. I've completely unchecked every option in the stock text-messaging app, and Handcent SMS is configured like this thread suggests (retrieve message settings->handcent deliv. report, auto-retrieve, roaming auto-retrieve, and self-check are checked off).

So, my stock app is not getting duplicates--that has been fixed. Handcent is still claiming the user is sending the same message twice though, but they aren't as it happens with every user on the first text after my phone hasn't been texting in a bit. I can't reproduce it at will... it just happens. If I get a text from someone, reply, and maybe dont get another text until the next day either from them or someone else, it'll (usually) show the message twice in handcent and my phone's text notifications go off twice (vibrating and sound). I KNOW it's from handcent, because the vibrate patterns are unique to only handcent (I have customized vibrate patterns depending on the type of person texting me and their relative importance). The messages are delayed by a few seconds apart from each other when they appear as doubles like this.

I know I've been redundant in this explanation but hopefully it helps convey my problem.

Anybody have any idea or also experience this?
I have no other texting related app installed to my knowledge (except for an SMS scheduling app I installed tonight, but this issue existed long before tonight).

Last edited:

cmarvi01

Reaction score
I have also disabled EVERYTHING on the msg app but still get every txt twice...this is just recently and NOW if I send a long text, it converts to hyrogliphs and I have no idea how to fix this...its driving me crazy and I love handsent. I also tried sending the same msg from msg app and it still converted to hyrogliphs....please help.
Thanks

dboy225

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been reading this forum and using it as a reference since I got my X at the end of August.

I've read this entire thread, every post, and no one seems to be describing the same issue that I'm having regarding double notifications. I realize it's a couple months old, but it's still a very similar issue, and if this thread isn't already stickied then having it back at the top of the threads list won't be a bad thing anyway!

It happens unpredictably, but it seems usually after my phone has not been actively receiving texts in the past [some amount of time]: the first message I receive will come through twice. By this I mean, Handcent SMS reports 2 new messages from the same user, yet they are identical. I've completely unchecked every option in the stock text-messaging app, and Handcent SMS is configured like this thread suggests (retrieve message settings->handcent deliv. report, auto-retrieve, roaming auto-retrieve, and self-check are checked off).

So, my stock app is not getting duplicates--that has been fixed. Handcent is still claiming the user is sending the same message twice though, but they aren't as it happens with every user on the first text after my phone hasn't been texting in a bit. I can't reproduce it at will... it just happens. If I get a text from someone, reply, and maybe dont get another text until the next day either from them or someone else, it'll (usually) show the message twice in handcent and my phone's text notifications go off twice (vibrating and sound). I KNOW it's from handcent, because the vibrate patterns are unique to only handcent (I have customized vibrate patterns depending on the type of person texting me and their relative importance). The messages are delayed by a few seconds apart from each other when they appear as doubles like this.

I know I've been redundant in this explanation but hopefully it helps convey my problem.

Anybody have any idea or also experience this?
I have no other texting related app installed to my knowledge (except for an SMS scheduling app I installed tonight, but this issue existed long before tonight).
^ I turned off all notifications settings (vib. patterns, LED, Notification in Status Bar, etc.) in the stock android message app. This ended one set of double notifications, but for me, my problem is double Handcent popups which show up EVERY time i get a message even though I've disabled Popups in the Notification Settings. I also get texts double and tripple stacked ontop of each other...im going to uninstall handcent and reinstall..LMAO its crazy that one text triggers a storm of vibrating popups and flashing LEDs!! I guess Handcent has been a bit buggy lately

Last edited:

Cheer Mom

Reaction score
Double Notifications

I have installed the Go SMS texting app and am very happy with it. But I too receive double notifications and I have gone into messages>menu>settings>and UNCHECKED auto retrieve and received notification....and I still receive two notifications. :icon_ nono2:

Cheer Mom

Reaction score
Whenever I go either into my Go Sms text app or into edit contact to assign specific ringtones only two options pop up: 1) com.htc.app.HtcRingtone Picker Act 2)Zedge. How do I get my other ringtone apps to show up, like ringbow, ringalert, etc?? I am getting very annoyed. :angry: I have the HTC Droid Incredible.

snstr1

Reaction score
I just installed a theme over apex and now the double texts in handcent every text have all notifications and auto retrieve shut off in all other messenging. May have to revert back as its irritating as hell.

UPDATE: I used titanium and just froze the 2 other messege programs on my phone and all is working great now.

Last edited:

tdp124

Reaction score
How long is this issue going to last!? Seriously, is the dev even aware of this thread? Someone who knows his contact info should link him. Make it open source or AT LEAST a quick fix: (pseudo code) if msg sender and msg text are identical to any sms received in the past 5 seconds, ignore it!
C'mon... Handscent SMS is far superior than the stock app, but WHY WONT THEY FIX THIS ONE, ANNOYING AS HELL BUG?! :r_c::icon_evil:

G

guest999

I have an LG Vortex and managed to end the double notifications the day I installed Handcent. My issue is on the lockscreen. If I'm away from my phone and receive text messaged, I can look at the lockscreen and it will say "3 messages" or however many came in. The problem is I can't clear this number because the phone seems to only check the stock sms for unread messages. I let them pile up for awhile and when I want to clear it, I have to open the stock sms app. I don't have to actually select specific messages, only open the app. It's not that big a deal. More of an annoyance. I don't even know if other droids have the lockscreen notification.

Lactone

Reaction score
Which SMS app?

Is handcent the best SMS app out there? I am currently using the default SMS on my Intercept with 2.1 (soon to be 2.2) OS, and I have read that 3rd part SMS apps are the way to go....My brother uses "GO SMS", but I haven't read much about it online, only handcent really. What is the best? Or is it just a matter of personal preference?

rossk78

Reaction score
So I've unchecked everything on the preinstalled messaging but callback number. I've restarted the phone and it still sends me texts to both places. Any other suggestions but uninstalling?

J*Bishop

Reaction score
So I've unchecked everything on the preinstalled messaging but callback number. I've restarted the phone and it still sends me texts to both places. Any other suggestions but uninstalling?

as far as i know that's always been the case.

lieblax

Reaction score
I had a quick question about handcent, I have everything the way I want it, with the popup when my screen is locked, but I only have one problem. If I let the popup timeout, the screen then changes to the lockscreen, THEN the screen shuts off. Is there any way to get the screen to shut off immediately after the popup times out (for battery conservation purposes)? I tried Go SMS, and that fixed this solution, but Go's time stamps were so screwed up that I thought handcent would be the better choice. It's not a huge deal but if anyone could answer that would be great. Thanks!