How to guide: Disable double notifications when using handcent sms

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by medicTHREE, Dec 11, 2009.

1. datboijon

datboijon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im still having issues with the stock messaging app. now i dont get double notifications but whenever i receive a text message and my phone is in sleep mode the phone turns on and the stock messaging app comes up and displays my text. anyone know how i can stop the messaging app from picking up the messages. i have everything disabled in the stock app. its livable but getting tiresome. tia for the help

update: it does the same thing while the phone is awake too (ie if im on the home screen stock messaging app still opens up and displays the text)

2. johnny9374

johnny9374 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive tried handcent and chomp have had some of the same troubles with handcent never any trouble with chomp

3. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    This isn't the stock SMS. It is a feature in handcent called popup. Go into Handcent settings and unchecked popup.

4. jphccfc

jphccfc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question i have handscent sms installed do i still ned the default sms client installed or can i remove it if i cant remove it can i kill it as a service?

5. datboijon

datboijon Member

Ratings:
    +0

oohhh makes sense but it has the same appearance of the stock program instead of the HC UI.

6. mikecolorama

mikecolorama Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I Finially figured it out for myself. It was Missed Call notifying me the second time.

7. Pagey33

Pagey33 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed I was getting 2 message notification symbols in the status bar.
    A sms message symbol (envelope style) and the symbol I chose for handcent.
    I couldn't figure out how to remove the sms notification.
    I removed notifications from stock message app and handcent app.
    That was the only way to get 1 message symbol in bar. (sms message symbol (envelope style).
    I wish i could get rid of the sms notification and use the Handcent one with the style
    and color of my choosing.
    i keep missed call app for continued reminders when message is missed.

any suggestions?

8. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    This has prob already been asked but didnt see it.. How do you turn off the vibrate when receiving a text? Im using handcent and the vibrate notification option is unchecked.. as well as in settings...

9. stonecaster

stonecaster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is the same problem I am having. It seems like it didn't start until I Upgraded to Ultimate Droid 9. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like one notification is for the Handcent sms message (this is the icon I choose) and the other is a envelope style icon that acts like it is for the Handcent popup that appears when I get a message. Not sure how to go back to just one notification.
    PS: ALL notifications are turned off in the default messaging app. Both the icons appear to be for Handcent only.

Well I finally figured out that my extra notification was comming from the app MissedCall. I feel stupid but anyway atleast
    the extra notification icon is gone.

#57 stonecaster, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. get it on!

get it on! New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent hours,days....weeks trying to put an end to this.the exact settings listed,are the setting I have. I also still have double notifacations....what gives?? Too bad cuz handcent is soooo much better!

11. joko1425

joko1425 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've been using handcent for a while now and no issues until today, when I tried to change my notification alert in handcent. All of a sudden I was getting double notified. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out WTH happened. Read through the posts, tried all the recommendations, nothing worked. Then...realized/remembered I've also been using SPC (Super Private Conversation), which makes you disable notifications in your other messaging app...which I guess I had disabled a while ago but forgot. Once I disabled the notifications in handcent, problem disappeared.

My point: it's probably another app that's causing your double notifications.

12. circsmonky

circsmonky Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i started getting double notifications after the last update yesterday. everything was fine until then, i also had to remove my custom ringtone from my phone and put it back just to get the the sound to work.

Search tags for this page
disable handcent

handcent double notification

handcent receive messages twice
handcent sms double messages

handcent sms double notification

handcent sms duplicate messages
handcent sms two notifications
handcent two notifications
how do i disable handcent
how to disable handcent sms