How to go from DroidMod ROM to CyanogenMod ROM? ROM Manager?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jer, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Jer

Jer New Member

I rooted a while back using DroidMod and have been running the ROM for quite a while now with minimal problems. I do have some instability from time to time and have heard good things about the CyanogenMod ROM for this phone and would like to try it out. I installed the free version of ROM Manager from the market and it says that to try the grayed out options you need to pay. I get that but at the same time it seems that EVERYTHING is grayed out. I assumed a few ROMs might not be available or something but I can't even get to that option. Is this because I need to do a backup first or ?? Is this a safety feature that won't allow you to proceed before making a backup or no? I have a backup with Nandroid as part of the DroidMod rooting so is this all I need or should I do a backup with ROM Manager to unlock the other options?

I'm a fairly technical fella but I haven't had the extra time to delve into rooting and all the intricacies and don't feel comfortable attempting such things unless I understand them inside and out first. The SholesMod (and later DroidMod) was a great option because it allowed me to quickly and easily do something that I wouldn't have done otherwise. Now I just don't know how to change ROMs as easily as I installed this one. I read that ROM Manager was all you needed but am not having success so a little 101 instruction would be nice.

Side question... does CyanogenMod have a black notification bar or white like stock? I miss when SholesMod ROM had the smoked glass theme because I REALLY preferred this to the white theme of the current ROM.

Thanks for the help!
  2. tdog7879

tdog7879 New Member

just get the paid version...Its really easy and comes with different roms ,themes,kernals,. Example: i downloaded the newest cyano rom...then i picked 1000LV kernal ..then put the smoked glass Esque ..all from the phone!..simple
  3. vessej

vessej Premium Member Premium Member

i installed both versions and i'm still getting most everything grayed out. it says i need to flash clockworkmod but isn't that for non rooted droids?
  4. pullmehome

pullmehome New Member

no clockwork recovery and sprecovery are different. If your recovery is SPrecovery you must flash it to clockwork to use rom manager which is simple to do it'll say something like flash clockwork recovery and a progress bar will start at the top. If you have lots of grayed out areas try to go into settings and check advanced or something like that to unlock the extra kernals and such.
  5. vessej

vessej Premium Member Premium Member

cool...got it. don't know where to start first. thanks!
  6. Project37

Project37 New Member

I'm also curious about switching from DroidMod and seeing what else is out there. I've gotten comfortable with creating/restoring Nandroid backups through SPRecovery, but is there a way to get my current DroidMod/SPRecovery setup back if I flash Clockwork and use Rom Manager to put Cyanogen on my phone?

Sorry if this is an obvious question - I just want to make sure I understand the process. :)
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  7. Kaos2flo

Kaos2flo New Member

Yes you can do nandroid backups with clockwork recovery also. But just in case you need to go back to sprecovery, there is also an option to re-flash that in rom manager.
  8. Project37

Project37 New Member

Thank you very much! I tried the free version of Rom Manager and got CyanogenMod to work, but I didn't really see an immediate difference from my prior setup (DroidMod, overclocked with SetCPU, themed with Metamorph). I admit that I don't know enough in terms of setting up CM to take full advantage of it, so I went back to my previous setup which was otherwise working fine. I might give it another shot if/when I get around to sifting through more threads and understanding it better.
  9. Jer

Jer New Member

So I was finally successful and am running smoothly at the same 1,000mHz and just today went ahead and bumped it up to 1,200mHz to see how it affects it.

My problem so far is that, unlike DroidMod, there was no way to not install the annoying programs that I dislike. I wanted to skip installing the following items: MP3 Store Amazon, Corporate email/calendar, & the one that bothers me the most.. Car Home. Is there a way to avoid installing this or to uninstall them maybe with ROM Manager or something?
  10. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I too installed the ROM manager (paid) a couple days ago. I've tried to install the JRummy red twice (once with wipe and once without wipe) and both times when it was through, I could not run market or gmail, they won't open) and in accounts syc, there's just calender and picasa (no mail or contacts).
    Alsoo tried cyanogen but I can't remember what failed there.

Coming from ESE53, is there anything that I have to remember to do for full functionality?
  11. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

CyanogenMod Forum -> Motorola Droid
    Try the Cyanogen forum. The ROM probably has scripts that can be run from Terminal Emulator to remove unwanted apps. Pete's BB V1.0 is a great rom with many scripts to remove apps and to perform other useful functions.
Search tags for this page
cyanodroidmod

droidmod rom

gotmodrom.com