How to get to Boot Menu

bpark32

Reaction score
I am rooted Fascinate user. I would like to start trying out some custom ROMs. I was told that I need to know how to get to the boot screen b4 I start flashing ROMs. Does anybody know how to do this? Anybody recommend a custom ROM that kicks a$$ for this phone and doesn't eat battery? I have "Set CPU", but have literally no idea how to use it. When I tried, it worked fine when the phone was open and being used, but once locked, it wouldn't turn on the backlight to unlock the phone causing power down and re-start in order to get going again.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am rooted Fascinate user. I would like to start trying out some custom ROMs. I was told that I need to know how to get to the boot screen b4 I start flashing ROMs. Does anybody know how to do this? Anybody recommend a custom ROM that kicks a$$ for this phone and doesn't eat battery? I have "Set CPU", but have literally no idea how to use it. When I tried, it worked fine when the phone was open and being used, but once locked, it wouldn't turn on the backlight to unlock the phone causing power down and re-start in order to get going again.

are you on the latest DL09 update from VZW?
is you phone modded at all? bloatware removed etc?

To manually boot into recovery hold down the vol up+vol down+pwr button until the samsung logo disappears....

do you have Clockwork Mod Recovery installed?
Here's How:
Here's ODIN: http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/Odin3v1.3.exe or Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

Here's CWM R: http://goo.gl/HELdr

1. Download ODIN
2. Put device in "Download Mode" and connect
- Take out battery
- Hold volume down button and plug device into computer.(you will see it go to download mode)
3.. Start ODIN(when it opens there should be a yellow COM port acknowledging your phone)
4.. Put CWMRecovery.tar in PDA section(never use Phone section) click start
5. When it says reset and your phone screen goes black, unplug it and put in batt and cover and reboot
6. Enjoy!

I cant remember if the ODIN CWR package put an update.zip on your sd card automatically or not, in other words if for some reason you cant get into CWR from say Rom Manager or by manually booting into recovery and applying update.zip
here is the update.zip, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/458252/Fasci...les/update.zip , you may not need it but here it is if u do......just download, make sure its named update.zip and drop it on the root of your sd card...good to go[/QUOTE]

here is a good custom Rom to start with -- follow the directions http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa.../115664-rom-dl09-super-clean-0-4-release.html

Here is an excellent kernel for batt life and speed...it is optimized by Adrynalyn: http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/0...e_novoodoo.zip
put on root of sd card and install zip from sd card, choose zip from sd card, click on kernel file and yes to install

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as Set CPU goes for the Fascinate....always leave it on Conservative governor...you can set the minimum to 200mhz if you experience audio popping, if not leave it at 100mhz...the phone will automatically clock to the max of the kernel you have installed so you can change the max to a minimum of 800mhz but I wouldnt go any lower than that...I dont use profiles at all as the phone's Conservative gov is pretty good at regulating the clock speed to help performance under load and battery life when idle...I see no need for them...it's a different beast from the Droid 1 where profiles made a huge difference...

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
not sure...

I don't know about the DL09 update. I am pretty sure it's not modded at all. Still have ALL the f'n bloatware. Havn't figured out how to get rid of that...
Clockwork Recovery Mod is installed...lol. So I guess it may be modded. Sorry. I've installed ODIN on my laptop. Is that where it needs to be? or shoud that be on my phone. (Holy balls I feel helpless). When you say to put device in "Download Mode"...what is that?
Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to screw up the phone by doing something stupid...

Thanks

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the DL09 update. I am pretty sure it's not modded at all. Still have ALL the f'n bloatware. Havn't figured out how to get rid of that...
Clockwork Recovery Mod is installed...lol. So I guess it may be modded. Sorry. I've installed ODIN on my laptop. Is that where it needs to be? or shoud that be on my phone. (Holy balls I feel helpless). When you say to put device in "Download Mode"...what is that?
Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to screw up the phone by doing something stupid...

Thanks
ok so your rooted? and have CWM Recovery installed correct...? you installed CWMR through ODIN right? per the instructions above

first make a nandroid backup in CWMR....scroll down to backup and restore/backup and it will make a backup of your current setup...

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
rooted yes. CWMR installed, but not per instructions above. Installed it awhile ago. Don't remember source. Still back up or uninstall and do it via your instructions?

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
rooted yes. CWMR installed, but not per instructions above. Installed it awhile ago. Don't remember source. Still back up or uninstall and do it via your instructions?
ok if you can boot into CWMr then all is good....go ahead and make a backup in CWMr then you will be ok to try Roms etc...also i would look into downloading the stock DL01, DJ05 or DL09 .tar files so you can recover using ODIN in case you 'F' something up etc...

Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I'll go for it and let u know how it turns out. Much appreciated.

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
So I boot into recovery mode, and it says "Android system recovery <2a> on top...Nothing about CWMR. Using the power button to make a selection does nothing. it won't "apply sdcard:update.zip, it won't even reboot the system...
If you don't have time for this, I understand. Just lemmie know.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I boot into recovery mode, and it says "Android system recovery <2a> on top...Nothing about CWMR. Using the power button to make a selection does nothing. it won't "apply sdcard:update.zip, it won't even reboot the system...
If you don't have time for this, I understand. Just lemmie know.
so when you use vol rocker to arrow dwn to apply update.zip and hit the 'home' soft key it does nothing?
if it wont reboot from the stock recovery then just pull battery and reboot

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
what do I put in the PDA line??? "DL09.tar.md5"? or the md5 line underneath it? Also...download mode? I must not be booting in CMWR...not really sure what's going on.

OP
bpark32

bpark32

Reaction score
Totally hit the home key on accident, and it did what it was supposed to, but the update.zip failed.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
what do I put in the PDA line??? "DL09.tar.md5"? or the md5 line underneath it? Also...download mode? I must not be booting in CMWR...not really sure what's going on.
yes in ODIN the tar goes in the PDA box

to put phone in download mode take out battery, hold down on the volume rocker and plug in USB cable....it will boot to a yellow display stating download mode....in ODIN it should recognize it with a yellow COM port
after all this and you browse to the tar file via PDA(not phone) and insert your ready to flash DL09 in ODIN...click start