How to get rid of voicemail app

dbronstein

Reaction score
I have an S7 Edge on Sprint. It has the stupid voicemail app installed. How can I get rid of it - it won't let me uninstall it? Or is there some way I can get the standard voicemail notification back - so when there is a a VM, I can pull down the status bar and just dial into my voicemail? I could live with the app if it didn't have the stupid ads. But I'd really prefer to get rid of it.

I've seen some posts around that say you can go into your sprint account and remove visual voicemail from your account features, but I don't have that option anywhere.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm not familiar with Sprint.. are you able to clear the app data and cache ? Maybe then you can disable it?

Note10+

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not familiar with Sprint either, but if it's anything like Verizon's Visual Voicemail premium service (not the standard service...the premium) that's an account change that has to be made first. And then the standard voicemail is available on the phone. Have you contacted Sprint customer support?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
I tried contacting Sprint and the rep had no idea what I was talking about. She thought I wanted to remove voicemail from the account.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So you are wanting to use no app at all for voicemail and just use a dial up number to listen to voicemail messages? If so I'm not sure if carriers even offer that anymore. I think voicemail is all accessed through an app these days.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure. All I have seen for years now is voicemail accessed through the specific carrier app. I would think that Sprint probably still has a number you can dial to listen to voicemail messages, but I have no idea what the number is.

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
Yes they do. But I want the app off my phone so I can just press on the notification to dial automatically to the VM box.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think it will work that way. You need the app to give you the new voicemail notification. Then you could dismiss the notification and just dial into voicemail. Without a Sprint voicemail app you would never know you have new voicemail messages

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
Totally not true. My wife's phone doesn't have any voicemail app and it gives a notification when there's a VM. Then you can tap the notification and it dials into her VM and plays the message.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Totally not true. My wife's phone doesn't have any voicemail app and it gives a notification when there's a VM. Then you can tap the notification and it dials into her VM and plays the message.
Which phone. I am not trying to be argumentative. I'm just saying I have not seen an Android phone with that behavior since around 2011. I am only posting based on what I have seen and believe to be true of modern Android phones.

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
Galaxy s7 edge. But as a general question, why would you need an app to get a voicemail notificaiton? Remember the old days before smartphones? The old phones didn't have any apps and they still had a VM indicator.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Galaxy s7 edge. But as a general question, why would you need an app to get a voicemail notificaiton? Remember the old days before smartphones? The old phones didn't have any apps and they still had a VM indicator.
I do remember those days. Are you 100% certain that her phone doesn't have a native voicemail app? It might be a system app that you don't see in the app drawer.

Based on what you said about "ads" I am guessing that somehow your phone is subscribed to some form of Sprint visual voicemail, or whatever they call it and her phone has basic voicemail service. That's just a guess; all of my phones are Verizon.

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
Maybe there is a system app buried somewhere, but when I go to setting - Apps, there is no voicemail app listed.

Again, I went into our account and there is no visual voicemail listed anywhere, and I tried talking to a Sprint rep and they were completely clueless as to what I was talking about. I specifically asked if there was some visual voicemail or such that I was subscribed to somehow and they had no idea.