How to get rid of apps I don't want

frankenfurter

Reaction score
My Moto Droid comes with a bunch of apps I have no use for, e.g. Facebook, Goggles and Amazon MP3 store. How do I go about getting rid of them?

OP
F

frankenfurter

Reaction score
you cant unless you root the phone

OK, thanks. Truly amazing that Verizon has so little regard for customer preferences. But then again, Facebook is probably paying them a fee to ignore our wishes.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Moto Droid comes with a bunch of apps I have no use for, e.g. Facebook, Goggles and Amazon MP3 store. How do I go about getting rid of them?

If you just want them off the screen, simply long press on the icon until it vibrates and pull it down to the bottom of your screen to the gray tab. The tab will turn red and drop the icon. Voila! Gone from the screen. But Cyrus6001 is correct, you can't get rid of the native apps without rooting.

OP
F

frankenfurter

Reaction score

If you just want them off the screen, simply long press on the icon until it vibrates and pull it down to the bottom of your screen to the gray tab. The tab will turn red and drop the icon. Voila! Gone from the screen. But Cyrus6001 is correct, you can't get rid of the native apps without rooting.

To be clear, this is an icon that appears on the second screen. (Not sure if this is the correct name. I'm talking about the screen I see after I flick the upward-pointing arrow on the front screen.)

When I do a long press on the icon, my Droid vibrates and then the icon is moved to the front screen, which is even worse. What I want to do is make sure the Facebook icon isn't on any of the screens.

Is this possible?

ShowTime

Reaction score

To be clear, this is an icon that appears on the second screen. (Not sure if this is the correct name. I'm talking about the screen I see after I flick the upward-pointing arrow on the front screen.)

When I do a long press on the icon, my Droid vibrates and then the icon is moved to the front screen, which is even worse. What I want to do is make sure the Facebook icon isn't on any of the screens.

Is this possible?
The second screen you're referring to is more commonly known as the "app drawer". Anne's advice is how to get rid of an icon off of one of your home screens (the 3 views you get by flicking side to side). To get rid of an icon from the app drawer, however, you must root the phone (assuming you're referring to a preinstalled app and not one you downloaded).

k1ng617

Reaction score
I would also consider rooting for this ability and to overclock the cpu, but worry a bit about ruining other programs of the phone that may rely indirectly with the apps deleted or uninstalled.

mjs31

Reaction score
First things first. Although rooting is something I recommend to many, I still believe a person needs to learn their phone first. As mentioned...if you click on the center tab on the screen it brings up all apps. If you are there and long press on an icon it will make that screen go away and bring you to the main screen you were on when you clicked it. What it does it bring that icon to your desktop basically making it a shortcut like you would see on a pc. To get rid of it from the desktop, long click it and then drag it down to the trashcan that will appear.
When you learn the ins and outs of the Droid, which can take a while, you then will consider rooting. From there you can get rid of some of these apps. I have been rooted for a while and never felt the need to remove anything.

As for what Verizon or motorola does that is their call I guess. Nothing they have put on your phone over takes any other app that I am aware of? Just learn the Droids in and outs and you will find a much larger world than these little apps that came preinstalled, but dont use.

Really...you will be tempted to root right away, but you really should learn your phone. It is not a basic phone at all and what you think cannot be done, typically can.

mjs31

Reaction score
I would also consider rooting for this ability and to overclock the cpu, but worry a bit about ruining other programs of the phone that may rely indirectly with the apps deleted or uninstalled.

True, overclocking is nice, but to many are rooting right away and have no idea of the basics of the Droid. If you have not spent more than 4 weeks just learning the Droid, you have not learned the majority of things on it. Rooting opens up a new world, but one much more open to those that know the basics to begin with.

drowe

Reaction score
The easiest way to get rid of those icons is to use a home replacement. I like dxTop that allows you to hide apps you don't want to see, create categories in the app drawer to organize them and gives you 5 screens and a 5 app dock at the bottom if you want.

David

jasonb

Reaction score
nothing pissed me off more than the "car home" app. i use my droid in my car almost every time i am in my car, but i use it mostly for music so the stupid car home app was useless to me. you can still do everything the car home app allows without the car home screen, it did nothing but get in the way. being able to delete it once rooting was just one more reason for me to root.

DonHoff

Reaction score
How about apps that I downloaded like weatherbug (it is living up to its name it is bugging me to death). I have it in the app drawer but cannot figure out how to delete it completely.

d3vilfish

Reaction score
Setting applications manage applications select app select uninstall.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums