How to get Micro SD files off broken phone-

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by ÇoachBobP23, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ÇoachBobP23

ÇoachBobP23 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Ok so my Samsung Galaxy S5 suffered internal water damage. The Phone briefly turned on, but has since shut down and won't reboot nor charge the battery, When you plug charger in it gives a yellow diamond sign showing there is a battery issue. It appears the battery is shot but possibly the entire phone.
    So my question is how can i recover or transfer all my files/pics/videos from the micro sd card if I'm unable to Unmount the card from the phone? Obviously I'm not too computer or phone tech savvy
    ,is this even possible? or did I lose everything? Please Help me lol ...any help would be greatly appreciated!

CB23 / C
    oachBobP23

2. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,026
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Welcome to the forum... You mentioned pics are on the SD card... Have you tried to remove SD card psychically?

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. ÇoachBobP23

ÇoachBobP23 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Bkdodger - ty for reply. ..no I have not attempted to remove it and view elsewhere because I thought once it's mounted to a specific device that you can't view or transfer without UN MOUNTING it 1st?

4. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,026
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    It's recommended to unmount card but I have removed them without on occasions... Also have you tried to plug to computer? Possible computer will recognize phone..

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. me just sayin

me just sayin Silver Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +513
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    if the phone is not on, then the card is unmounted. you can safely remove it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,310
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    I agree! The purpose of "unmounting" an SD card or flash drive from a computer or phone before removing it is because when mounted, data is sometimes moving between card/flash drive & the connected device (computer or phone). If data is on the process of moving between the two when you remove the card without unmounting, then the moving data can get ruined. If the phone is off, then data will not be moving between card & phone. So you are safe to physically remove it without unmounting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Yet another reason for the SD slot!

I wonder if anyone has tried, or if it's even possible, to recover files from the internal storage in such a situation. Looks like their are some specialty data recovery companies that do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. me just sayin

me just sayin Silver Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +513
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    internal storage gotta have power. if you can get power, you can plug it into the computer and it should be removable storage in the file manager. from there you should be able to recover the files using some undelete utility or just copy them over.

If no power, unless you are an electronics wiz, it would be best to send it off to recover your files. In others words, if you do not send your files to the cloud regularly or back up the phone, there really is nothing you can do that would come cheap.

• Like Like x 1