How to get Micro SD files off broken phone-

ÇoachBobP23

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
Ok so my Samsung Galaxy S5 suffered internal water damage. The Phone briefly turned on, but has since shut down and won't reboot nor charge the battery, When you plug charger in it gives a yellow diamond sign showing there is a battery issue. It appears the battery is shot but possibly the entire phone.
So my question is how can i recover or transfer all my files/pics/videos from the micro sd card if I'm unable to Unmount the card from the phone? Obviously I'm not too computer or phone tech savvy
,is this even possible? or did I lose everything? Please Help me lol ...any help would be greatly appreciated!

CB23 / C
oachBobP23

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum... You mentioned pics are on the SD card... Have you tried to remove SD card psychically?

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
ÇoachBobP23

ÇoachBobP23

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
Bkdodger - ty for reply. ..no I have not attempted to remove it and view elsewhere because I thought once it's mounted to a specific device that you can't view or transfer without UN MOUNTING it 1st?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's recommended to unmount card but I have removed them without on occasions... Also have you tried to plug to computer? Possible computer will recognize phone..

Sent using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
if the phone is not on, then the card is unmounted. you can safely remove it.
I agree! The purpose of "unmounting" an SD card or flash drive from a computer or phone before removing it is because when mounted, data is sometimes moving between card/flash drive & the connected device (computer or phone). If data is on the process of moving between the two when you remove the card without unmounting, then the moving data can get ruined. If the phone is off, then data will not be moving between card & phone. So you are safe to physically remove it without unmounting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yet another reason for the SD slot!

I wonder if anyone has tried, or if it's even possible, to recover files from the internal storage in such a situation. Looks like their are some specialty data recovery companies that do it.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
internal storage gotta have power. if you can get power, you can plug it into the computer and it should be removable storage in the file manager. from there you should be able to recover the files using some undelete utility or just copy them over.

If no power, unless you are an electronics wiz, it would be best to send it off to recover your files. In others words, if you do not send your files to the cloud regularly or back up the phone, there really is nothing you can do that would come cheap.

michael.anderson007

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S7
Hello, ÇoachBobP23! Have you got back the Micro SD files? Fortunately, your phone is Galaxy S5 instead of Galaxy S6 or Galaxy Note5, as they do not have SD card slots.