How to get Google Voice, NO invite required?

gators99ta

Reaction score
I don't need an invite, the website allows you to get a google number actually chose it instantly

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For such a tech savvy crowd, you people are missing the easy and obvious choice: EBay.

I paid less than $2 for a google voice invite on EBay. Are these legit? I don't know, I have no idea how with a waiting list of weeks or even months some people have dozens to sell. However, my account is up and working just fine. For $2, I don't see any real risk there.

Don't know if I could have set this up with my existing cell number or not, it didn't appear I could even after downloading the GV app to my Droid. But if you were to do that, I think you lose some key functionality, namely:
1) A new universal number you can forward to any of your phones. I intend to use this for business and general acquantances. Let's me keep my cell# private for personal use.
2) The second number will not use your cell minutes for SMS (plus, great for people leaving voicemail or if you choose to forward to your VoIP account). This is really a cool feature - I send SMS via Google Voice and it comes from my new GV numbers. That is the only difference on the receiving end. Their responses (and my replies) actually come and go seamlessly out of my GMail! Even better, since it routes thru GMail, is that I can send/reply from my computer (with the full size keyboard) if I so choose.
3) Along the same lines as #2 above, you can get free VoIP with this secondary number by forwarding to a free Sipgate account. IMO, the call quality over WiFi is superior to my VZW service, and over 3G it is equivalent.

DON'T do what I did, which was pay about $10 for a Gizmo5 account. Gizmo5 residential service appears broken. However, Google bought them and I think something big is planned with GV and Gizmo. But one can only imagine what the waitlist will be, given what GV waitlist is right now, if this new service is what everyone thinks it will be (which is free VoIP and SMS and who knows what else). From that perspective, $12 for the two together might be a bargain a few months from now.

zandroidong

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought a google voice invite for $2 off ebay. The guy selling it was "pubwang". I got it within minutes and it's been working great so far. If you wait on an auction you can probably pick one up for like .60 cents. Just letting you guys know.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought a google voice invite for $2 off ebay. The guy selling it was "pubwang". I got it within minutes and it's been working great so far. If you wait on an auction you can probably pick one up for like .60 cents. Just letting you guys know.

I bought from him as well. Instant delivery. Like I said, no idea how this guy apparently has dozens to sell. Maybe it's a hack or something and Google revokes these accounts at some point, but for $2 you can easily make that up in just one month from terminating your SMS service with Verizon.

Jllaugh

Reaction score
I just bought an invitation for a dollar on Ebay. When Google finally sends me one, I'll give it to a friend or give it away here.