How to get GB and my phone and use the root app?

B

budmonster

I haven't been on the forums for awhile so I have a lot of catching up to do, so I need your help.

I'm still on 2.2.1(.340). How do I install GB properly, can someone please point me to the correct thread? I saw this GingerBreak APK on XDA ([26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers) and I'm curious on how to use that. Does the GingerBreak APK install GB on my phone, I'm confused on how this works. Can someone please explain me the correct steps, so I can the OTA GB on my phone?

Thanks guys.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Yes, as of right now, the first file you have above is the "up-to-date", unless you want to donate $5 to team Liberty to get their GingerBread nightly builds...which can be done in about 3-4 steps....

As far as the 2nd file you are asking about....what dont you understand about it? It is perfectly explained in the very same thread/post you linked to..."About:The GingerBreak APK is a wrapper around the newly released GingerBreak exploit (credits to The Android Exploid Crew), which is meant to attain root access on GingerBread".
Which means it is just an addition to the GingerBreak Root Access Tool...which is the tool to root GingerBread....not rocket surgery really....:icon_eek:

Halfie

Reaction score

The gingerbreak app isn't needed if you use TBH's gingerbread leak because it comes prerooted. The only time you would need to use the gingerbreak app is if you accidentally install the wrong GingerBread leak file or if you receive an OTA in the future for GingerBread which isn't rooted. So ignore the app for now :)

-Halfie

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score

The gingerbreak app isn't needed if you use TBH's gingerbread leak because it comes prerooted. The only time you would need to use the gingerbreak app is if you accidentally install the wrong GingerBread leak file or if you receive an OTA in the future for GingerBread which isn't rooted. So ignore the app for now :)

-Halfie

agreed. I did the TBH way on my Droid 2 and have none of the issues that I am seeing others have that did it other ways.

codustyle

Reaction score
+1

Hey anyone know the difference between flashing the three blur zip files to port gingerb vs using the tbh dxgbrooted.zip and flashing it like a rom to get gb??

Just got a new dx ... on my old one I got to gb by doing the three file method described in those leaks.

On my new dx I notice tbh has their app up again. I used their dxgbrooted file (which I already owned.. but we all owe team black hat map props) just like it was a rom and 'apllied zip' thru clockmod just like I was flashing a rom. Anyone know what the difference between the two builds are? Should I sbf and the do the three blur zip files method
described or are they the same things?

I also got this dxgbrootedeodexed.zip that I had had on my old X and flashed it on top of the gb I did the three file method. I was told being deodexed make it easier to flash roms. Is that what deodexed really does?

Bottom line: should I have installed gb the three file method?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Halfie

Reaction score
+1

Hey anyone know the difference between flashing the three blur zip files to port gingerb vs using the tbh dxgbrooted.zip and flashing it like a rom to get gb??

Just got a new dx ... on my old one I got to gb by doing the three file method described in those leaks.

On my new dx I notice tbh has their app up again. I used their dxgbrooted file (which I already owned.. but we all owe team black hat map props) just like it was a rom and 'apllied zip' thru clockmod just like I was flashing a rom. Anyone know what the difference between the two builds are? Should I sbf and the do the three blur zip files method
described or are they the same things?

I also got this dxgbrootedeodexed.zip that I had had on my old X and flashed it on top of the gb I did the three file method. I was told being deodexed make it easier to flash roms. Is that what deodexed really does?

Bottom line: should I have installed gb the three file method?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Check what build you're on. I don't remember if that deodexed is .588 or .573. But it should be .588 and if it is then you're fine. As long as your on GB it doesn't really matter does it :p but if you're having problems then yes, sbf and do the three zips.

-Halfie