How to get digital audio output

roxito

Reaction score
I really don't like the audio quality that I am getting from the Droid's audio jack. I would really like to get digital audio output and have the signal processed on my music system.
I really wish the so called "multimedia dock" had a way to get digital audio output.... its more like a clock/alarm dock than a multimedia dock.

I know about mounting it over USB ... but that doesn't allow me to use the Droid touchscreen to easily browse and play music.

ebarcus

Reaction score
bluetooth is prob the only option atm, im building custom docks with speakers, audio outs and itrips built into the units themselves, stick around for that post :D

jkayner

Reaction score
bluetooth is prob the only option atm, im building custom docks with speakers, audio outs and itrips built into the units themselves, stick around for that post :D

what type of audio out? 3.5 or rca type?

bhjazz

Reaction score
roxito, it won't be a usb "mount". That, afaik, is just for moving files from device to device. I think what you are looking for is to be able to get digital audio out of the USB port and have it picked up by a DAC on the other end. In the PC world, for instance, you can use Foobar with ASIO and do this. ASIO supplies the drivers to make it happen.

With the droid, it appears that this will be possible, but we will likely need an audio app which can stream the audio through a driver to the USB port insated of to the internal DAC and audio processor(s). This is not currently available (trust me, I've been looking!) The key wil be the driver. There are some 'nix-based drivers for audio that Android might be able to use, but I have not seen one yet that is described as doing this exactly.

As usual, I'll use the quote that I see many places: we need an app that can do that!

OP
R

roxito

Reaction score
thanks bhjazz... let us know in case you do find an app that does this... i think ideally it should be possible to route audio from any music player app over the USB.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
roxito, it won't be a usb "mount". That, afaik, is just for moving files from device to device.
It is but there are car head units that support USB mass storage devices. It wouldn't be inconceivable to make a multimedia dock capable of the same.

bhjazz

Reaction score
roxito, it won't be a usb "mount". That, afaik, is just for moving files from device to device.
It is but there are car head units that support USB mass storage devices. It wouldn't be inconceivable to make a multimedia dock capable of the same.
That's true. I'll bet someone out there has already manufactured one!

Still, I want to stream USB. To a DAC. I'll keep digging. I ran across a MOD player the other day, so a media player with digital out is not out of the question.

Huned

Reaction score
Update on streaming audio to DAC

roxito, it won't be a usb "mount". That, afaik, is just for moving files from device to device. I think what you are looking for is to be able to get digital audio out of the USB port and have it picked up by a DAC on the other end. In the PC world, for instance, you can use Foobar with ASIO and do this. ASIO supplies the drivers to make it happen.

With the droid, it appears that this will be possible, but we will likely need an audio app which can stream the audio through a driver to the USB port insated of to the internal DAC and audio processor(s). This is not currently available (trust me, I've been looking!) The key wil be the driver. There are some 'nix-based drivers for audio that Android might be able to use, but I have not seen one yet that is described as doing this exactly.

As usual, I'll use the quote that I see many places: we need an app that can do that!

Good day,

Any updates on your quest? I too have just begun my quest to stream audio from my tablet to the Nuforce DAC via a USB. The transmission is done using SKAA standard.

Regards