How to Get CM7 on Newly Update Gingerbread Droid Pro

bms259

Reaction score
I just received the OTA update of Gingerbread on my phone, and I don't like it, particularly the UI. Can someone point me to a detailed step-by-step of rooting my Droid Pro and getting Cyangenmod running on it? This is entirely new to me, and seem to find detailed instructions for a clueless person like me. Thanks.

[I use a Mac, but if I have to, I can get access to a PC]

Last edited:

google123

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-pro-roms/175390-new-cyanogenmod-7-gingerbread-kernel-25.html

Go through that thread. Jackpot talks about the latest CM7 builds from around page 20 or so....in a couple of posts he posts exactly what needs to be done in order to get a fully functioning CM7 ROM running on the Pro.

Basically, if you are currently on the OTA you should be at 2.3.3 4.6.8 and it goes something like this. These are simplified steps of course. You will need to check the resources thread as well as the CM7 thread about for the files you will need to download.

1. Root using Motorola One-Click Method.
2. Install Droid 2 Bootstrap and install ClockworkMod Recovery
3. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery
4. Make a nandroid backup of your current 4.6.8 build in case you don't like CyanogenMod
5. Wipe everything, including data/cache/dalvik
6. install the CM7 zip, followed by gapps zip
7. boot into newly installed CM7

OP
B

bms259

Reaction score
I have the cyagenmod boot loop going now....what do I do?

google123

Reaction score
Did you wipe data and cache before installing CM? Walk us through the steps you took to where you are now. It sounds like you may need to get into recovery and wipe data again. Keep us posted.

OP
B

bms259

Reaction score
I did wipe everything before install. It got hung up when I tried loading Gapps. I'm not really sure who I did it, but I got to the Android recovery screen (not ClockworkMod Recovery), and did a factory reset, and rebooted, and CM7 is up and running, without the Google apps. I'm going to look around to see if I can find out what I did wrong w/Gapps.

Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong w/ installing Gapps, or any advice to get it running correctly? Anything I should be aware of or careful about from here, assuming I can get it Gapps going?

[Update: I'll just ask it: How do you install Gapps? Can't seem to find a step-by-step, and I'm a little nervous after last time...]

Last edited:

google123

Reaction score
The steps I had mentioned above, gapps is usually installed right after the CM zip, as in, don't boot and then go back to install gapps. install them right after the CM zip finishes installing. which version of gapps are you trying to install? In the CM thread, Jackpot posted gapps from 08/28 I believe. I don't know if there is a gapps link in the resources thread.

OP
B

bms259

Reaction score
The steps I had mentioned above, gapps is usually installed right after the CM zip, as in, don't boot and then go back to install gapps. install them right after the CM zip finishes installing. which version of gapps are you trying to install? In the CM thread, Jackpot posted gapps from 08/28 I believe. I don't know if there is a gapps link in the resources thread.

That's exactly what I did...after install CM, I tried to install a file w/this name, downloaded from the 08/28 site: gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Do I just need to try it again and cross fingers?

Update: I just tried again, and CWM locked up will trying to install it again. This time, after I pulled the battery though, CM loaded fine. But still no Gapps...

Last edited:

google123

Reaction score
Hmmmmm I'm not sure why gapps is not loading for you. I believe you need to step over to the CM thread under Droid Pro ROMs now and see what Jackpot recommends. Is there any error messages on the screen when you try to install gapps?

OP
B

bms259

Reaction score
No error message. It just freezes...

Astaroth

Reaction score
Did you successfully get CM7 on the Pro? I am sick and tired of the GB OTA so I am gearing up to do this.