How To: Free Wifi Tether Nexus 5 No Root!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you are one of the lucky ones who still has an unlimited data plan with Verizon you may make good use of free wifi tethering from time to time. I do not use this personally unless my home internet is down, or I am on the road traveling. I have been known to use tethering in lieu of open wifi networks if staying in hotels or sitting at a coffee shop. If you have a Nexus 5x you are probably wondering how to get your free wifi tethering going.

P3Droid has put together a quick video guide showing how to get wifi tethering on the Nexus 5x without any hacking. This does not even require you to be rooted. All you have to do is eject your sim, insert your sim wait 5 seconds then turn on the wifi hotspot. It will not check for your subscription. This works on Verizon, ATT, and Sprint.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
more than likely it works on other Nexus devices. I have not tested it though. Let me know if you test it.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. I'm month to month.

The TOS still applies. In fact, it would make it even easier for them to terminate your service if you don't even have a contract.

Just teasing, due to the thread a couple weeks ago about UDP and how most of the people clinging to to UDP, do so for the tethering... hehe

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The TOS still applies. In fact, it would make it even easier for them to terminate your service if you don't even have a contract.

Just teasing, due to the thread a couple weeks ago about UDP and how most of the people clinging to to UDP, do so for the tethering... hehe
Let them terminate me. Oh wait Verizon likes my money. Never happen.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let them terminate me. Oh wait Verizon likes my money. Never happen.

LOL. Nah, it was more about how people clinging to UDP, I think mainly do it for the tethering, which of course they have to do in violation of the contract they signed... It was just pointing out the irony at the outrage that people on grandfathered plans post, that because they have kept it this long that somehow VZW should be obligated to just let them keep it forever, are typically the same people "stealing" tethering from VZW... so while they expect VZW to honor a contract that is no longer in place or even offered, they themselves are obviously not willing to abide by THEIR part of the agreement...

No throwing stones at you personally, just made me chuckle, as it does every time that topic comes up, or every time an OTA comes out, a gazillion people immediately ask about tethering hacks... ;-)