How to free up space in your system **root users only**

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
go to your root folder (root explorer app via the market $1.82 US money) >>>data>>>>apps and find any icon packs you might have.

copy that whole app to sdcard>>>dcim.

use astro to extract the icon pack then copy the res file (in astro you will be able to see the icon) within it to a new folder in dcim i.e. Ibox icons.

then you HAVE to go delete the app you extracted. if you don't...it hangs your gallery. i created a folder just to put the apps i want to extract in so it's an easy delete.

then you can choose a custom icon from your gallery instead of installed apps. i freed craploads of space doing this. also you can go thru and delete all the stupid icons you wont be using so you don't have to scroll through hundreds just to find one. good luck.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went to my root folder and it was completely empty. I went there via Astro, am I missing something here?

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just assumed everyone had root explorer via the market. i cant see my system folders via astro. maybe it's ME missing something lol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just assumed everyone had root explorer via the market. i cant see my system folders via astro. maybe it's ME missing something lol

Yeah, you just left off one itsy bitsy piece of info there. lol I'll go to the market.

gary109

Reaction score
Couldn't find anywhere else to post this and I did a search...when I go to system info my ram shows 16% available. I don't have but a handfull of apps. What does this mean? Is this normal? I'm rooted running droidmod. I have plenty of free space on SD card and internal memory. Does this affect the phone?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
go to your root folder (root explorer app via the market $1.82 US money) >>>data>>>>apps and find any icon packs you might have.

copy that whole app to sdcard>>>dcim.

use astro to extract the icon pack then copy the res file (in astro you will be able to see the icon) within it to a new folder in dcim i.e. Ibox icons.

then you HAVE to go delete the app you extracted. if you don't...it hangs your gallery. i created a folder just to put the apps i want to extract in so it's an easy delete.

then you can choose a custom icon from your gallery instead of installed apps. i freed craploads of space doing this. also you can go thru and delete all the stupid icons you wont be using so you don't have to scroll through hundreds just to find one. good luck.

Great tip.

I'm sure I would have thought of this sooner or later!! :redface:

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Couldn't find anywhere else to post this and I did a search...when I go to system info my ram shows 16% available. I don't have but a handfull of apps. What does this mean? Is this normal? I'm rooted running droidmod. I have plenty of free space on SD card and internal memory. Does this affect the phone?

i don't understand what you're talking about....where is this system info you're talking about that shows 16%?

LOL @ bayou!