How to free up RAM???

Kstyle723

Reaction score
Was just noticing that most of my ram is used up already (3/4). Is there anyway to make more space? I moved all my apps to the SD card, and use android assistant regularly, but I can never free up more than a little over 1/4 the space???? Thanks for any info in advance :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

jtpowell

Reaction score
Was just noticing that most of my ram is used up already (3/4). Is there anyway to make more space? I moved all my apps to the SD card, and use android assistant regularly, but I can never free up more than a little over 1/4 the space???? Thanks for any info in advance :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Unless you are getting out of memory messages don't worry about it. Let the Android system worry about how to manage ram. It does a better job at it then me or you.

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Are you rooted? If you are, there a plenty of apps or scripts you can run that allow you to change the thresholds for the native memory management. Or if you're not rooted, the stock task manager does work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unused RAM is wasted RAM. It takes the same amount of energy to use all of the RAM than to use none of it. Clearing up RAM just to clear it up, does nothing useful.

Moving your apps to the SD card will not effect anything, I think you are confusing RAM (Random Access Memory) with storage space.

RAM is where the apps/programs/etc "live" to be used. Storage space is where the actual apps resides.

Android does a great job at managing the RAM and thus you don't need to worry about it. If you use your Android device to the extent that you are locking up the phone from running out of RAM because you are such a heavy power user, buy a laptop.

OP
Kstyle723

Kstyle723

Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.... I rooted when I first got the phone to access tethering, and the next an ota update came out and re rooted me. So no, I do not currently have root access. I wasn't sure what ram was, I just knew that since got the phone most of the ram was used and I thought I may have been missing something. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR