[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

Mikejl

Reaction score
E: failed to open/ sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I have the unzipped file on my sd card. what am I doing wrong?

You are not supposed to unzipped the file. Put update.zip in the root of your sdcard.

Mike

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great. I have 2.1 now but not 1 damn feature of 2.1. No moving wallpapers. No 3d app bar. No voice to text. How I do I got back to my previous version so I can just wait.

Others answered the features stuff, but there is no 3D app Launcher in 2.1 for Droid. Grab Helix to get more screens and you can try helix 2.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file directly to my droid and when prompted to "save as" I typed in update.zip. I checked it out in my astro file manager and the icon next to it is an open box with three sheets of paper standing up in it. Then I followed the instructions and I still got the message that said aborted file not found.

Can anyone tell what I screwed up?

1. File needs to be update.zip you can check it by trying to rename in astro.

2. file needs to be in /sdcard - not where you downloaded it. copy and paste to /sdcard.

Then retry.

thisisdell

Reaction score
Great. I have 2.1 now but not 1 damn feature of 2.1. No moving wallpapers. No 3d app bar. No voice to text. How I do I got back to my previous version so I can just wait.

Others answered the features stuff, but there is no 3D app Launcher in 2.1 for Droid. Grab Helix to get more screens and you can try helix 2.

Helix just an app from the Market? I got most of the features running now.

Met-Droid

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file directly to my droid and when prompted to "save as" I typed in update.zip. I checked it out in my astro file manager and the icon next to it is an open box with three sheets of paper standing up in it. Then I followed the instructions and I still got the message that said aborted file not found.

2. file needs to be in /sdcard - not where you downloaded it. copy and paste to /sdcard.

Then retry.

Thank you. How do I copy and paste it directly to my sd card?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Then retry.

Thank you. How do I copy and paste it directly to my sd card?

You're welcome!

Go up a couple of my posts to connect droid to computer, etc. :)

Oops, in other thread..

Connect your droid to your computer by usb, hit option to mount in notifications, and on your PC you should get an option for the drive to open the folder and fiew files.

When that window opens, you are on the root of the SD, copy and paste as with any other file in windows, right click, copy, go to folder, right click, paste.

Let us know how it goes ...

Last edited:

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Update worked great, no problems.

I like having a live google map of the area showing local traffic as my wallpaper.

Ron W.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about the Google Earth? Do we have uninstall that first before the OTA? Will that cause any conflict?

I dont think it will hurt it, but why not just uninstall, then go back to the market and reinstall if you are concerned?