[How-To] Force Motorola Droid 2.1 OTA Update (ESE81)

Brokn68

Reaction score
anyone with a rooted phone have success with this yet?
that is what I am waitng for.....did anyone have success with a rooted phone???

if you did..when you answer...please do not say it worked like a charm....we do not know if you are talking about and unrooted or rooted phone...so please specify...
thx!!!!
Worked like a charm...

On non rooted phone :icon_ devil:

hogowner

Reaction score
Not going to try on a rooted phone, since they have not found a way to root it yet.
Ok thanks...I am very happy with the rom I am running now on my rooted phone.....I will wait to try this on my phone when the team comes out with the update for a rooted phone

Thanks again for your response

freakboy2539

Reaction score

kmdavisjr

Reaction score
VERY Cool! Can't wait for the rooted version! THANKS. The voice recognition is pretty cool.

thisisdell

Reaction score
Great. I have 2.1 now but not 1 damn feature of 2.1. No moving wallpapers. No 3d app bar. No voice to text. How I do I got back to my previous version so I can just wait.

lyam

Reaction score
Thanks! I was able to force an update with no problems whatsoever. Swype still works, too. I do have a question about the new gallery, though. Can you isolate videos into their own category? In the previous gallery this was the default. Now they seem intermingled with the photos in a single gallery. Other than this small issue, I love everything about the 2.1 update. Very, very snappy in every respect. Hopefully it will remain so. Thanks again!

REMilk

Reaction score
My phone is rooted, but has had no alternative functions added and nothing deleted. This update worked fine for me.

robtrink

Reaction score
Did you keep root after the update as well? Can you open up a term and su?

khelek

Reaction score
Great. I have 2.1 now but not 1 damn feature of 2.1. No moving wallpapers. No 3d app bar. No voice to text. How I do I got back to my previous version so I can just wait.

By default, it'll look the same as what you left.

To get live wallpapers, long hold down on your screen, choose wallpapers, and live wallpapers will be there.

for speech -> text, you have to open up something that requires text input, bring up your virt. keyboard, and instead of a , on the left of the space bar, you have a microphone, press it and speak.

I don't know about the 3d app bar....

camoelite

Reaction score
Thinking of doing this..

Ok, I want to do this but should I totally reset my phone before I do? Also, if I update it over the zip file, will I still be able to get updates OTA in the future?

Met-Droid

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file directly to my droid and when prompted to "save as" I typed in update.zip. I checked it out in my astro file manager and the icon next to it is an open box with three sheets of paper standing up in it. Then I followed the instructions and I still got the message that said aborted file not found.

Can anyone tell what I screwed up?

thisisdell

Reaction score
Did anyone get this to work and have all the features of 2.1? I still have only 3 home screens, no voice to text, no 3d menu bar. Pretty pissed I updated. All I got was a new gallery and my phone says 2.1 under firmware.

themozsh

Reaction score
Gtg

Just like u said. Renamed file in windows and it wouldn't install. Went back a renamed it just update and it installed like a charm. Now I have 2.1 update 1. Thank to all of U.
Good Day