[How To] Flash STOCK ROOTED EC02 (Froyo 2.2)

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
OK, I want to put out there the guide I found for getting the latest EC02 update onto the Galaxy Tab 7" (SCH-I800) for Verizon ONLY. This is a PRE-ROOTED release. I did NOT do any of the work here. This posts contents was taken and slightly modified from GizmoNinja. I just made the guide a bit better, and easier to understand. Again, in case you missed it a second ago, FOR VERIZON ONLY.

Download Heimdall from Here:
Heimdall – Glass Echidna

Also just below version 1.1.1 is Microsoft C++ This also needs installed on your machine because it has .dll files Heimdall uses.

Power off your Tab. With your USB connected to your PC, hold volume down on your Tab, and plug it in via USB. This will launch Download Mode.

Unzip Heimdall and go into the drivers folder, and you will see zadig.exe. Run this.

At the top you see options. Click “list all devices”, then in the dropdown select Android USB composite device (or whatever it says).

Click start and let Heimdall download the drivers.

We are going to download the Stock rooted images of EC02, and the VOODOO zImage.

DOWNLOADS

Stock rooted EC02 —>http://bit.ly/i9i7Vw
VOODOO zImage —> http://bit.ly/goYbcp

We are now going to flash the rooted EC02 files via Heimdall.

Power off your Tab. With your USB connected to your PC, hold volume down on your Tab, and plug the USB cable into the Tab. This will Launch Download Mode.

The zImage (from the zip file, NOT the voodoo zImage you just downloaded) goes in both the Kernel AND Recovery slot.
The factoryfs.rfs goes in Factoryfs
The Param.lfs goes in Param.lfs
The cache goes in the cache slot.

DO NOT EVER EVER EVER PUT ANYTHING IN ANY OTHER LOCATION. THESE ARE THE ONLY FILES YOU NEED. **Note, if Heimdall fails at the very beginning, just try unplugging and turning off the tab, close, and relaunch Heimdall-frontend.exe. It will eventually start.

After you have the files in place click “Start” to flash. ALWAYS make sure your battery is sufficiently charged or you will have MAJOR problems.

After the flashing process has completed, the Tab will reboot automatically. CONGRATULATIONS! You now have a ROOTED EC02 update!

IF, when booting up for the first time, you have a bootloop, power down, wait a few seconds and hold power and up volume to boot into recovery. (NOTE, do NOT hold power too long, just long enough to turn it on. Once you see the Samsung words in the middle of the screen, you can let go of the volume button. It will boot into Recovery in a few seconds. WIPE DATA AND CACHE. Tab should boot fine when you reboot again.

SKIPPING ACTIVATION: To bypass the activation (or setup wizard), when it appears, select your language. Then on the next screen do:
VOLUME UP 1x
VOLUME DOWN 2x
VOLUME UP 3x
VOLUME DOWN 4x

Obviously 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x are the number of times to press the corresponding button.

This is the final step. Instead of flashing recovery VIA Rom Manager (since the recovery in Rom Manager is not updated to the latest kernel source), we will be flashing @khasmek (aka Boushh from XDA) EC02 VOODOO kernel which will also give us a fully working ClockWorkMod recovery!

Again, we will be using Heimdall to flash the zImage we downloaded above (NOT the stock zImage that was in the zip). Please make sure this file is zImage only on your PC. Flashing anything with an extension (zImage.txt, zImage.zImage, etc) will not take.

Power off Tab and disconnect from PC. Hold volume down and plug into PC to get into download mode. Launch Heimdall. Put the VOODOO zImage in the kernel slot AND recovery and hit start. This will flash a custom kernel AND @khasmek VOODOO recovery

First boot may take a while due to EXT4 partition conversion. This is normal. If you bootloop for ANY reason, wipe data and cache. By the way, this kernel is also overclocked to 1.4Ghz. Must use SetCPU otherwise stock speeds of 1Ghz will be default.

*Note: Remember, do not use ROM Manager to flash a recovery or you will have to reflash your Tab back using Heimdall and the EC02 files above.

gregbridwell

Reaction score
Worked! Thanks!

One question: The 'Menu' and 'Home' button don't seem to work. Any idea how to get them back? I flashed to DJ11 Stock previously and the same thing happened. They came back, but I don't know what I did to get them back.

I figure I'm in the same situation here. I will be able to get them back, just wondering if anyone has any idea how.

Thanks

Edit: Solved! I activated the Set Up Wizard in the settings and went through it. AfterI clicked on Begin Using The Tab button at the end of the wizard the Home button and menu button worked. Weird. I didn't even complete the wizard. I just hit Skip all the way through it.

gregbridwell

Reaction score
I am finding that when I flash the kernel in the second part of your instructions, I lose the orientation switch functionality. It no longer allows auto-rotation to function. Any idea how to fix this? Is there another version of the kernel I could try?

jjordo1

Reaction score
Thank you for your rendition it was easier to do. The only problem I'm having is now my accelerometer is not working at all. Any ideas?

garret27

Reaction score
Thanks man. This really helped! I couldn't update the previous version.

garret27

Reaction score
Also. It doesn't seem that I can get my 3G network to work. Does this version not use the modem, if so, how can I get it back?

mmikem

Reaction score
OK, what am I missing here?
I am running the Heimdall frontend v1.3.0. I see no "slots" marked Kernal or Recovery???
What tab are these on? Create Package is disabled, no other tabs have the fields labled in the instructions???
Thanks,
Mike

Edit: v1.1.1 has the fields by these names but not 1.3.0 or 1.3.1...