How to flash ROM without losing apps

stimpyerin

Reaction score
My husband has a rooted Droid X and wants to flash a new ROM to it... He doesn't want to reset the phone and lose his apps... He has ROM Manager with ClockworkMod Recovery... He is not able to boot into clockwork recovery from power off... We have tried several different things and nothing seems to work... Please help!!!!!

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To do that... You need to get an app like titanium back up or my backup... That will back up apps/data/contacts/texts/call log and everything

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
He has titanium backup and has backed up everything... He has ROM Manager and he's trying to flash a ROM from there and it wont even boot into clockwork recovery... Any suggestions?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you need bootstrapper for the DX. same thing, but a different process

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
Is there a free one out there? Every one he's found costs...

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
Well, he broke down and bought the bootstrap app... and its still not working... it just gives him a black screen...

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bootstrap is a paid app...
did you get droid x bootstrap?
if so you need to go to settings/applications/development/ and uncheck debugging

Reaction score
Make sure you hit bootstrap recovery then hit reboot recovery. I have a DX but I use Droid 2 bootstrap with no problems...I think DX bootstrap only works on android 2.2 but I could be mistaken

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
he figured out the debugging and then it worked... but now he thinks he bricked it... he was trying to boot the darkslide rom and now hes frozen on the motorola screen... he tried the factory reset and it still isnt booting up... he is going to have to the sbf stuff?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like it...
What version of darkslide did he try and install?

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
he doesnt remember which version it was... he thinks it was for gingerbread and he is only running froyo... hes at work so i'm relaying this from what he emails me lol...

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
he doesnt remember which version it was... he thinks it was for gingerbread and he is only running froyo... hes at work so i'm relaying this from what he emails me lol...

Well... If that's the case bootstrap should have worked with debugging on....
But if he flashed darkslide x on froyo... The only thing us can do is sbf to fix

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
okie dokie... thank you for your help... looks like thats what he will be doing tonight!

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
I think it was darkslide x... he is trying to do this sbf stuff and he gets to the unetbootin screen and it wants a command and he isn't sure what to put in...

OP
S

stimpyerin

Reaction score
Ok he did the sbf and his phone is up and running... now i have another question... he is trying to get darkslide again and we really dont wanna mess it up again so he is running gingerbread (2.3.3)... his system version is 4.5.605 and darkslide says it needs .596 or .602... is that the problem? Which one does he need?