[How-To] Flash an RUU (HTC Rezound)

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I'm sure plenty of people aren't taking the "missed" OTA news well and are turning to the leaked RUU's ... I wanted to give a quick how to and some of the things to expect, kind of a mini FAQ I guess...Here goes.

Foreword: Backup and data you don't want to lose. If you are unlocked, you will need to lock your phone before running this. You must also use an unencrypted SD Card

Disclaimer: If you follow these steps you are flashing unsupported code on your phone. Understand that the expectations are you understand what you're doing. There are only a few paths back from this and they're all harder than what you're about to read. Droidforums does NOT SUPPORT LEAKED ROMS/RUUs IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. I have copied this from another forum(my own post) to help ease the issues people are having flashing the leaked firmware/ROM. Droidforums is merely hosting this information, anyone who so chooses to use this information is responsible for their own actions. That being said, let's get down to work.

Step 1) Download the leaked RUU. There are several outlets for this but start at the top I guess
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/RUU/Vigor/RUU_Vigor_3.14.605.10_PH98IMG.zip
*Updated Link to 6/12/12 leak.

Step 2) Transfer to your phone's SD card
If you downloaded it on your phone, use a file manager to move it to /sdcard2/
If you downloaded it on a PC, connect to your phone and drop is on the external SD(/sdcard/ext_sd)

Step 3) Rename to PH98IMG.zip
This can be done during step 2 but it's important enough to know that this HAS TO BE DONE
Using a file manager, rename your recently downloaded zip file "PH98IMG.zip"

Step 4) Reboot into HBOOT
If you're rooted, you can use an app like quickboot
For everyone else, make sure that fastboot is turned off. Power down your phone. Power up holding Volume down and Power.
Your phone will start updating...
Wait about 15 minutes, if it hasn't rebooted do a battery pull.
Repeat Step 4
Usually the RUU needs to be flashed twice in order to work.

Mini-FAQ:
Q: Will running this void my warranty?
A: No

Q: Will I be able to get the OTA if I do this?
A: Nobody knows yet. We don't have any real information on the OTA so it's hard to say. However assume the answer is no.

Q: Will I lose all my pictures?
A: See the note above that says BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE

Q: Will I lose my music?
A: See above

Q: Will I lose XYZ?
A: Really...see above.

Q: Ok, fine... How do I backup my data?
A: Titanium backup, Mybackup Pro, and a good few other applications can do this. Most require root to do a thorough job. Sorry, not much way around it.

Q: Can I go back to the Gingerbread stock ROM after this?
A: Not unless you unlock and use a ROM or S-Off.

Q: I've done the leak and get horrible XYZ.
A: That's not really a question but you should understand that this is not an official update and anything that comes as part of it is by and large unsupported.

Q: I've followed your guide to the letter but when I get into HBOOT nothing happens
A: If your SD Card is encrypted, use a non-encrypted card.

Last edited:

trackman1

Reaction score
Hi i tried d/l and when it completed..there was a file transfer error...said somthing like corrupted file

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Delete it and try again. Sometimes you can still get download errors.

trackman1

Reaction score
hi i just d/l again same result file transfer error..start of central directory not found.......is there another link?....what else can I do

trackman1

Reaction score
sorry for posting this in separate areas...But Something is Wrong...I have tried that file 3x and still same issue...is there another Link??...please advise

thanks

trackman1

Reaction score
I have read that verizon is suppose to release phones with 4.0 Ics end of july...should I just wait and get the phone then????

acejavelin

Reaction score
These instructions look simple enough, and the file downloaded fine (compared calculated MD5 against MD5 listed on other sites) but I am still have a couple questions...

I understand that an OTA update to the "final" ICS release will likely not be possible from this leak, but won't the official release also be released as an RUU and be flashable the same way as the leak?

OK, well I guess I only have one questions. lol

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Basically there's no way to tell what will happen with the official OTA because it's not out yet. The RUU's we have now were "leaked" by someone related to HTC because they're actually signed by HTC. It's not standard practice to release the RUU's.

Rinzler22

Reaction score
I re-read everything step by step, and this is where i'm at: boot loader is relocked, PH98IMG.zip is in ext_sd file, when I boot into HBOOT, it scrolls a few quick messages, and I get an error that says "no image or wrong image"

Last edited:

Rinzler22

Reaction score
Update: after everything, i just rebooted it, and it all of a sudden decided to start flashing! YAY!!

trakmnky

Reaction score
HBoot menu

When I power up the phone by holding the power and volume down buttons it boots to HBOOT menu. Which option do I select, (Fastboot, recovery, factory reset, clear storage, simlock, image crc)? Is recovery correct?

Thanks, really appreciate the help.

matovello

Reaction score
I relocked the bootloader, but now thats all i can get to. i placed the file on the sdcard rename it and when i try to turn the phone on with it i get
sd checking...
Loading ...[PH89DIAG.zip]
no image
loading ...[PH89DIAG.nbh]
no image or wrong image
loading ...[PH98IMG.zip]
Battery voltage is too low
Please change a battery ...
[Power]--> Continue
when i press power
it takes me to HBOOT
the phone is relocked what do i do next please help

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your answer is truly right in front of you. The PH98IMG.zip is found but your battery is too low. Charge up the battery or go on AC power and it should work out.