How to Flash a Custom ROM (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droseum20, Aug 3, 2011.

1. droseum20

droseum20 Member

You need to be rooted to install a ROM. If you are not rooted look at my youtube channel and follow my quick tutorial (droseum20). When rooted watch this video or simply follow the text instructions below:

ROM Download: daniel_rose_rom.zip (This ROM is not required for the process to work I'm sure many other ROM's will work as well this is just the one i am using in this video)
    ROM Manager: Find it on the Android Market
    STEPS:

1) Download any ROM off of the internet (Themed Bugless Beast download above). Install ROM Manager off of the Android Market.

2) Open ROM Manager and select Flash Clockworkmod Recovery. Confirm your phone then wait for it to ask you for root permissions then select allow. It will take just a few seconds.

3) Plug your phone into your computer using a USB. Turn on USB Storage on your phone. You should get a pop-up on your computer then select Open Folder to view Files.

4) Wait for Windows Explorer to open then drag the Custom ROM you are going to use into the Windows Explorer (Removable Disk). NOT IN ANY FOLDERS!

5) Disable USB Storage on your phone and wait for your SD Card to remount. Open back up ROM Manager and click Install ROM from SD Card. Find the ROM you are using (If you downloaded mine it will be called daniel_rose_rom.zip).

6) You will get a pop-up asking you if you want to "Backup Existing ROM" or "Wipe Data and Cache". Make sure wipe data and cache is selected and it is HIGHLY recommended that you Backup Existing ROM just in case if you want to go back to stock. Once they are checked hit OK.

7) Your phone will turn off then reboot into Clockworkmod Recovery. First it will Backup your current settings which may take 5-10 minutes then about a 2 minute ROM install and data and cache wipe. When it is complete you phone will reboot.

8) On the first boot using a new ROM you must be patient. It will take much longer than usual. You will notice the boot animation is changed a bit also.

9) When it fully boots you will have to sign into your Google Account and your phone will sync.

10) ENJOY!
  2. shooterbrah

shooterbrah New Member

I am having some trouble doing this and I can't figure out why. I have rooted my phone and done everything above step-by-step. When I open ROM Manager and selected the rom, check the boxes, and click OK my phone just reboots like normal and nothing else happens. Any idea how to fix this? The phone is a Droid X.
  3. shooterbrah

shooterbrah New Member

Update: I unrooted it, did a hard reset and wen't through the whole process again with no luck.
  4. shooterbrah

shooterbrah New Member

Used droid 2 bootstrap, all is well. Thanks.
  5. reino4

reino4 New Member

Total noob here, apologies in advance for dumb questions.

I rooted my droid x2, downloaded ROM manager, but my phone just kept rebooting normally and not loading the ROM(MUIU/ICS Hybrid ROM for DX2). I tried bootstrapper but I just get a never ending M screen.
    I finally got ROM Manger to install rom from sd card. but I get the following lines when it's in CWM.

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
    E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
    E: can't open /cache /recovery/log
    E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
    E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

I have the same problems when I try and flash the ROM manually through CWM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    W.
  6. cdnwetzel

cdnwetzel New Member

question for you?

so what you're saying is that even though you have a droid x, you had to use the droid 2 bootstrap? i have a bionic and had a similar issue, it just reboots normally and does nothing when trying to backup or install a rom, i wonder if my solution is similar, hate to spent $2.99 several times to find out tho

Search tags for this page
download custom roms for android
droid x2 flash rom

flash custom rom droid x2

flash rom droid x

how to flash a custom rom droid x2
how to flash a custom rom on droid x2
how to flash a rom to droid x2
how to flash custom roms to droid incredible
how to install a custom rom on a droid x2
how to install custom rom on dx2
how to install custom roms x2